Author Topic: Ash vase  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Ash vase
« on: June 25, 2015, 12:02:56 AM »
Twelve inch high ash vase. c&c welcome.
Regards.

Offline Dave Harding

• iron
Re: Ash vase
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:10:38 AM »
For me I would prefer the base to be a bit narrower, and for there to be a slight radius on the bottom edge tucking it under. The colouring really highlights the grain patterns, but green is not a colour I find attractive on wood. Lovely piece of wood with an excellent quality of finish.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »
Hi Sevilla

I like the colour, is it spirit stain? If it were mine I think that I would have made the collar larger. But all in all a very nice vase form where I'm sitting.

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:33:34 AM »
I like the black collar. Dave has a point with the base being a little on the wide side. Also, the shape cannot quite make up its mind whether it wants to be an ogee (i.e. where the curve is reversed toward the foot) or a smooth convex shape, which is a little confusing to the eye. It might work better, if the vase had a small foot of its own.
The colour is certainly striking if nothing else. I find it a little harsh on the eye, but it does highlight the grain very nicely. The problem really is that you have green together with orange, and they oppose it each other in the colour circle, creating a strong tension.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 04:16:46 PM »
I like that. The colour really shows off the grain. I presume the orange parts are from the wood itself. I agree that I would have preferred the base to be narrower and curved into the bottom, but then that's only my opinion. Nice job though. Malcolm.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »
I do not particularly like the way the bottom splays out on this but as it is a vase it needs a decent base for stability.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »
Thank you all for the critic. The points you all made make sense but I will try to point out the idea behind this vase. I know that the narrow base is kind of a must nowadays but I was trying to reproduce the shape of the chinese container vases which have become in the western world the ombrella vase. The orange colour is part of the wood and is not present on the back side that I show in this new picture.
For color I used pigments in oil followed by naphta and sandpaper to remove it from the new growth rings.
Probably the main error, in my opinion is the neck which often in chinese vases is more vertical to allow for a cover and in this case is flared out like in the western vases. This, I believe can bring a little of confusion to the eye.
Thank you again.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »
Sevilla,

due to it's size I see this as as either a feature piece or more probably a (not sure if a name exisits) Floor vase.

The colour is very dramatic, I'm guessing green spirit stain with an overcoating of yellow.

As a feature piece I agree with George that the shape could be a little improved, but then again we've all seen ceramics vases of this shape so it does work.

As a floor vase (or giant weed pot) I think it would sit well with a few fronds of Pampas Grass or lengths of Corkscrew Hazel in it as a statement piece.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
It is very much in the line of the Chinese vases including the wider base. Green isn't a favourite colour of mine personally but that doesn't detract from it's overall appeal. As you say the neck on an original would have been shorter and straight with a lid that dropped over the top but so what, we don't all want to copy everything to the last detail doe we?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 01:27:16 PM »
I like this,with the black ring as a highlight,as for the wide base,there`s the it needs to be thinner brigade and the leave it wide brigade,people who but them,I would think,would like a wider base,to save from keeping getting knocked over while dusting etc;,then there`s the woodturners,wher shape and form is paramount,I think its just down to individual taste personaly and like both ways of designing the bases of vases,and it gets people discussing the merits of both,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world