Author Topic: Coloured bowls  (Read 2286 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Coloured bowls
« on: July 01, 2015, 10:13:28 PM »
Unless I am totally mistaken, this should be right up George's alley.

Both bowls are alder, which is actually not a very nice wood. It doesn't want to cut properly, even with perfectly sharp tools, so there's loads of sanding to do. And it it's not all that great to look at, somehow the figure of the grain isn't all that pleasant to look at. I consider both of these pieces practice bowls, where I tried out various blending techniques with textile dyes.
Both of them are about 9" diameter and 4" high, and both are finished with acrylic lacquer. The blue one (which I call "Midnight Bling" because of the contrast between the silver inside and night colours on the outside) has seen quite a bit of burnishing, the other one hasn't seen any at all.

As usual, all C&C highly welcome.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Coloured bowls
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 10:26:05 PM »
Nothing wrong with Alder it is quite a beautiful wood and with sharp tools and good technique no more difficult than any other wood to turn.
The colouring is not really to my taste I prefer to blend a mixture of colours rather that one colour.
A good effort

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 06:15:53 AM »
I like both of them nice simple bowl shape and the blend of colours look good from where I'm sitting.

Ed

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 08:12:17 AM »
I like the blue one very much especially the interior colour which compliments the outside. Thanks for sharing.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »

Like the Blue one..... Like Mark think the interior finish really sets it off
    Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 04:12:25 PM »
Gents, thank you for the feedback. I am really rather surprised, I have to say. When I had the blue one finished, I looked at it and immediately thought: well, this one's never going to sell. I mean, who would by a bowl with a silver interior???? Seems I was quite wrong. OTOH, you guys are not my customers, you are fellow wood turners, and therefore look at it from a different perspective.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 08:46:41 PM »
Blue seems to be the favorite and like everyone else, the silver inside appeals to me, but the shape of the green one is far superior. Damn, now I'm torn between them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 10:47:45 AM »
they both work well to me,but I prefer the top one.
welcome to my woodturning world