Author Topic: jet 1221vs lathe  (Read 3697 times)

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
jet 1221vs lathe
« on: May 31, 2015, 06:29:29 PM »
Can anyone help please, I am in the process of mounting my 1221vs to my work bench and thought that the base casting thread was m8, but the bolts wouldn't fit. Is the thread a 5/16" of some sort? Can't see why it should be but the bolts will only turn about 1 turn so something's wrong.
Thanks Paul

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: jet 1221vs lathe
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
Hi

5/16 x 18 UNC.  here's the manual http://content.jettools.com/assets/manuals/719200_man_EN.pdf

Cheers Dave

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 07:24:19 PM »
Thanks for that, I'll get it sorted. Cheers Paul

lest44

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 03:44:30 PM »
Hi Paul, Great choice of lathe. I got one of these last Nov and really pleased with it. Having upgraded from a manual speed change to this little beauty has been fantastic. I had the same problem as you with the mounting onto a bench. The manual it came with did not detail the imperial thread size and type. I managed to find out by contacting jet and came up with the same answer.  It did make mounting it on to the bench top difficult as you can't see the mounting holes you are trying to get the bolts to thread into and can quite easily end up cross threading into the blind tapped holes. Go careful!

One of the selling points I liked was that the tail stock having the marked scale to allow to drill from 0 to 60mm depth. The only problem I found was that with my new 2MT Jacobs chuck when you wind it back to the zero mark, because of the flat tang on the end of the Jacobs chuck 2mt part, the chuck would be ejected automatically at the 17mm mark, so I could not take the fully advantage of the 0 to 60mm travel. I solved this problem but literally cutting off the tang. I now get the full range of movement.
Have fun with it.
Martin

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »
Hi Martin. I've been so busy rearranging the workshop, rigging up extraction & general summer duties I still haven't had much time to actually do any serious turning! Should get started this week hopefully .Had a little spin up & I'm impressed with the speed control & how quiet it is compared to my old lathe. Happy days mate!