Author Topic: Amphora vase  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Amphora vase
« on: July 15, 2015, 09:56:31 PM »
This is a 15 inch vase inspired by the Greek and Roman amphora vases. It is 15 inch high. The amphora vases by definition had two handles which I would like to add to the next I will make. Any suggestions on how to make and attach the handles?
C7C welcome.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Amphora vase
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:13:44 PM »
Amphora that were used for transporting oil and wine on the ships often didn't have handles so you are safe there. I do a fair few of them but admit that mine tend to be 'damaged' and lying horizontal as a rule so i haven't tried to have handles though I had though about it. The hard way would be to turn the piece leaving extra wood around the area of the handles and carve them out, trying to attach after making the amphora would involve making them look as if they were a part of the main vessel which would be difficult. Be interested if you find a way that works.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:50:02 PM »
Very nice. I like the two black bands, they sort of frame the main body very well. I do think, though, that the foot is too big. It makes the whole thing look a bit flat footed. I realise that such a tall vessel needs a decent food to stand on, but this is too much, in my view.

I think if you made the two handles from the same wood, with the grain running exactly the same way. and making sure you attach them so that they sit on the quarter-cut sides, then it could work just fine. I would attach them with small metal pins (can be made from nails, and hidden in the joint), but obviously this requires a few millimetres of material in the body of the amphora.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:03:24 PM »
one very beautifully shaped vase, I have to agree that the foot looks a little large for me also, but I don't think that would stop someone from buying it  :)

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 08:34:49 AM »
Thats a nice looking vase.
It is worth remembering that the originals would have been pottery and the handles would have been made separately and just stuck on with slip so carving and superglue sound about right to me.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?