Author Topic: Couple more pieces  (Read 2096 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Couple more pieces
« on: July 16, 2015, 03:36:53 PM »
One is a WIP and is an apple burr hollow form with an ebony and holly finial. two clay medallions are suspended on a red silk cord. It is temprarily put together to see if it needs adjusting in any way. I can see a couple of things already. The second is a simple laburnum pot (with obligatory split naturally LOL) and stands approx 12" tall. C+C welcome as always. ready for the 'don't like the shape of the hollow form' LOL.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Couple more pieces
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »
I like the shape of both the finial I think is a bit over the top.

Sadly the photos let them both down I think someone needs to play around with photoshop a lot more  :) :) :)

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 09:37:51 PM »
I agree re the photos, I need to get my acto together and do some proper ones but it takes ages to set it up in the first place....laziness I know.

Thanks fr the comments on the pieces though.

pete

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:20:29 PM »
Pete following a thread on here ages ago I got a photocube of the web, cost about 12 quid then. Easy to set up and with a digital camera the results aren't that bad.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »
Hi Pete .
I would be very interested to here your thoughts on the first one how you arrived at this. What was the thought process behind it.
The hollow form looks like a bag of sand or maybe coins and is the top something to do with the scales of justice .
Personally I would reduce it.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:05:47 AM »
LOL George you do have a way with words. I have a book of chinese pottery and this was one of the basic shapes from way back. I wasn't sure if it would transpose into wood so decided to have a go. The finial is something that came to mind from some of the temple adornments you see in Japan.  I agree it is a bit OTT and I don't know if it will stay as is. I personally quite like the overall idea but until I refine it I can't say whether it will be an idea that didn't work or not.

Pete

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 09:16:45 AM »
I am afraid neither of these do much for me. In terms of photography, as BHT says you don't need a lot. I also bought a light cube off amazon, about £60, with 2 x 500W lights on tripods (essential for diffuse lighting through the cube walls). On the inside I use a box to lift items up a little, and a variety of coloured A1 sheets from hobbycraft for the backgrounds. The cube is up pretty much all the time in a spare room, with a camera on a tripod.

As soon as you start cutting things out and putting them on a different background, the whole picture starts looking artificial unless you spend a lot of time. I found it much better and faster to have a range of differently coloured backgrounds to suit the various colour balances in my pieces.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
Pete,

The Apple form is different. You occasionally produce very different lid tops (I can't call them finials) that are going in a completely different direction to anyone else. I don't know that the top sits on the form as well as it might but I'd look to a different form, the top is great. The only thing of note on that is the two side spindles don't quite look to be on a level, they both rise up slightly (at least in the picture). Level them up and (for me) you have a winner.

The laburnum pot's only failings are the neck it a little too high and the lack of defining point between the pot and the neck. The continuous sweep does not work for me and from the sound of it, you.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline David J. Ross

• copper
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 12:08:55 AM »
I think that what you have tried on the first first item is good
I would IMO change the shape of the base and make it more curved on the bottom
Around the rim IMO I would try to align the lid and the rim to make it more in line with each other
As for the top I like it a lot

The laburnum pot is well shaped I was looking at something in a well known magazine it had a pot with some carving on it  and I think this pot might benefit from something the same

Well designed Pete

David