Author Topic: Gallery submission  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Gallery submission
« on: July 30, 2015, 05:36:38 PM »
Once a year we have an art-trail throughout north Wales. It's an open-door event that covers 4 consecutive weekends and does great things to publicise the work of a couple of hundred artists. This year marks the tenth year of the venture, and I've been asked to submit 4 pieces of my work to a gallery in Caernarfon, for an exhibition to herald the art-trail and to give it a focal point in a place that has a high tourist foot-fall.

The organisers want four pieces of work, and rather than have them themed, or from a series of works, they needed to be indicative of the type of work that I do, and therefore of the type of work that visitors will see if they visit my shop. One pieces was turned yesterday, one a month ago, one three months ago, and finally one that I made about 18 months ago.

Here's the line-up

First the new bowl....This big lump of spalted beech has yielded a bowl of 23cm diameter and 22cm height. The detail on the waist-line is a double bead with a black leather thong inset between the beads.

Next is the one I made a month ago...Another big bowl, at 31cm diameter and 24cm height. Turned from fresh ash from a local private estate.

Next, the one that's a few months old, a natural edged piece of yew from a local churchyard. Well seasoned and very dry (too dry!) before I turned it. It's 26cm at its widest and 13cm at its deepest.

...and finally, the older bowl, turned from a piece of alder that looked like a burr on the outside, but had very little burr inside it! The stitching is done with 2mm diam leather thong and it has been lightly sand-blasted to give a soft texture to the sound timber, the bark having been left untouched. It's 30cm diam and 12cm deep.

C&C always welcome....Les

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:48:29 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Gallery submission
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 05:40:12 PM »
Some very nice work there Les

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 05:45:24 PM »
I will have to comment later, still thinking about the black leather thong !!!
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 06:40:40 PM »
Love the first one, not too fussed on the natural edge ones purely becaus I am not that keen on natural edged bowls and like the last one a lot. Great for you to be given the spot in the gallery, hope it brings in plenty of interest and business.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 09:01:57 PM »
love the markings on the first one - are you not showing a Platter?
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »
are you not showing a Platter?

Hi Steve...reading between the lines, I understand that they want pieces that are more three-dimensional and can stand on plinths rather than hang - nearly all of my platters are fitted with hangers.
Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:09:46 PM »
They needed to be indicative of the type of work that I do .... They've got gwyntog all over them ... Les.

I think they'll fit the draft. Very well done on the appointment.

Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Ralph

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 09:21:37 PM »
I like natural edges, but for me, the first piece is the best. It is a beautiful piece.

Ralph

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:35:20 PM »
Les,

these 4 pieces describe your woodturning journey and the development of both your skills and unique style.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 06:27:44 AM »
Great choice of work shows off your style of turning perfectly :)

Congratulation on being ask to submit your work, it should have people flooding to Pren :)

All the best

Ed   

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 09:19:27 PM »
i had the pleasure of seeing these items today which the pictures dont do them justice and show the scale of them, thay are a great bit of turning, i was also pleased to meet les, thanks les for the Button and Mushroom they made my Childerns day - that much that they want me to make some with them tomorrow - it was great to meet you and have a chat, thanks, Steve.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 09:00:13 AM »
i had the pleasure of seeing these items today which the pictures dont do them justice and show the scale of them, thay are a great bit of turning, i was also pleased to meet les, thanks les for the Button and Mushroom they made my Childerns day - that much that they want me to make some with them tomorrow - it was great to meet you and have a chat, thanks, Steve.

...and it was good to meet you and the kids, Steve, and thanks for the lump of apple-wood; it will be put to good use, soon.

One of the advantages of the shop is that it does attract fellow woodturners and I frequently get a chance to meet and chat with people from the forum as well as non-members (to whom I suggest membership as a necessary part of being a woodturner!)

Les