General Category > General Discussion

Well I gave it a good go!

(1/2) > >>

Katchin:
 Unfortunately I have decided to give up woodturning for the time being.
My reasons are varied, but mainly financial, due to redundancy and having to take a lesser job. I am not comfortable at all turning wood without some decent extraction as it really is effecting me, and funds do not allow right now. My space is also very limited, and a lot of what would normally live outside is in places such as the kitchen! or living room! Great if I need a hosepipe whilst watching tv I guess!
I do enjoy wood turning but have not had great results  ;D I realise that I would probably improve, as would my sharpening! But all things said and told, time to quit for now.

Hopefully I will restart in a few years.

I will advertise all my gear in the sales section, but if anyone knows somebody whom is looking for a job lot, even better.

I will continue to look at your results of course.

Cheers,
John.

theblindwoodturner:
it's a shame to hear that and I know how expensive the turning game is. Don't give up on it. practice is one of those things. I was like that many years ago when I first started turning but after seeing things from another angle, my turning career keeps me going.

could you PM me with a list of what you're selling please as I am looking to expand the workshop for teaching work and maybe to help out a young lad who is also blind to give him something worthwhile to do.

cheers mate and take care.

Philip Greenwood:
Hi John

Sorry to hear you want to give up, don't rush into selling all your gear if you change your mind you will have to buy new equipment. My advice is to hold on to it for now.

Phil

theblindwoodturner:
very true phil. I agree on that. Sorry I asked about the equipment sale.

Think vary carefully before you sell up. Equipment prices are sky rocketing now with VAT and manufacturing costs, etc. so keep hold of it unless you're absolutely 100% certain

take care

BrianH:
My adviice would be to keep the gear and take up turning logs and foundling rather than storebought timber. The outlay is reduced to merely the electricallisity. Build a pole lathe and even that expence disapears.
All the best
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version