Author Topic: More of Ian's Alder  (Read 3510 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
More of Ian's Alder
« on: August 14, 2015, 02:04:12 PM »
This piece is 14" x 2" Turned from another blank of Alder from Turners Cabin.
http://www.turnerscabin.co.uk/

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: More of Ian's Alder
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »
Sorry to say that, but that doesn't look like alder to me at all. Way too much colour, and I have yet to see alder with rippling or curling. The alder that I have (and I know it's alder, because I took it straight from the site where the tree was felled) is very bland, almost white, and has very little colour in it (apart from some bluish streaks).

I like the bowls, though. Very nice! This one looks like you did some off-centre turning with it?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 03:42:57 PM »
Sorry to say that, but that doesn't look like alder to me at all. Way too much colour, and I have yet to see alder with rippling or curling. The alder that I have (and I know it's alder, because I took it straight from the site where the tree was felled) is very bland, almost white, and has very little colour in it (apart from some bluish streaks).

I like the bowls, though. Very nice! This one looks like you did some off-centre turning with it?
....I'd have to disagree.....I have worked several pieces of rippled and burred alder and they were very, very much like this piece, both from the point of view of colour and of grain configuration.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »
Sorry Fuzzy you cant be right about everything. LOL It is Alder.I have some Alder that I have had for several years and it is just like this and when I have turned it the figuring was beautiful.

Regards George

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:10:20 PM »
 Hmm, maybe I got a bad tree.  :-[

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
Hmm, maybe I got a bad tree.  :-[

Maybe it is not Alder.

Regards George

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »

Lovely bit of figure that you have captured very well with the shape George very nice
    Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »
George: From the pictures, I presume this was turned quite green? I am asking because of the red coloration around the bark inclusion. This might explain the difference, as I have dried mine for quite a while, and that seems to have taken away a lot of the colour.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 05:22:50 PM »
Thank you Tony I am pleased you like it

Regards George

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »
George: From the pictures, I presume this was turned quite green? I am asking because of the red coloration around the bark inclusion. This might explain the difference, as I have dried mine for quite a while, and that seems to have taken away a lot of the colour.

The moisture content is 29% and it is now soaked in Lemon oil wrapped in brown paper and will be left until about 10% before selling.

Regards George

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 08:09:31 PM »
I am pretty sure that it is Alder , however it is not "typical " of Alder, it is a crotch section or from the base of a large limb to produce the figure you see , Alder is generally rather bland and not often available in large sizes ....if ever I am contracted to cut Alder I usually get wet as it likes river banks and swamps !!!...  Terry ...

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 08:16:34 PM »

I am pretty sure that it is Alder , however it is not "typical " of Alder, it is a crotch section or from the base of a large limb to produce the figure you see , Alder is generally rather bland and not often available in large sizes ....if ever I am contracted to cut Alder I usually get wet as it likes river banks and swamps !!!...  Terry ...

When I put something up here and say what wood it is take my word for it that I will have done my homework and am 99% sure of what it is.
I do not put it up here for the Forum know all's to decide whether I am right or wrong.
If I am not sure or don't know I will say so.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:40:44 PM by GBF »

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 09:57:57 PM »
Nice looking bowl George

Now are you really sure it's Alder...................Only joking  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 10:02:24 PM »
Thank you Ed yes I am sure LOL.

Regards George