Author Topic: Finishing oil  (Read 9324 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Finishing oil
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 08:51:03 AM »
I will try Rustins although I don't know where I can get it locally.
I got some Danish oil from Screwfix yesterday to try it seems very thin but I like that as I will give it lots of coats

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 10:59:15 AM »
I will try Rustins although I don't know where I can get it locally.
I got some Danish oil from Screwfix yesterday to try it seems very thin but I like that as I will give it lots of coats

Regards George

There are loads on the market but Rustins always comes out best IMHO
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 11:08:12 AM »
rustins are good but i'm liking this blackfriars i've just bought.

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 04:34:38 PM »
Regarding lemon oil for part turned wet wood :

What advantage does this have to leaving it raw and why lemon oil rather than any other finishing oil?

Phil

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 05:15:55 PM »
Regarding lemon oil for part turned wet wood :

What advantage does this have to leaving it raw and why lemon oil rather than any other finishing oil?

Phil

I you are turning to finish size/thin wall in one go soaking the wood with a thin oil slows the speed by which the sap/bound water ( the water held in the walls of the individual cells) can evaporate thus greatly reducing the chance of excess movement/cell collapse and cracking. You need a thin oil such as lemon oil as thicker oils do not penetrate as deep and can sit on the surface. You can certainly use any thin finishing oil to slow down the moisture release. If you are turning burrs or woods with voids from green wood then thick oils can collect in the voids and dry leaving a mess, collecting dust and can be a real pain to clean out. Lemon oil is as thin as water and gets into all the nooks and crannies without clogging. .

Some people dilute finishing oil with part lemon oil to thin it.

Also it smells nice  :) hope that answers your question.

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 07:36:37 PM »
Mark, thank you for your helpful and comprehensive answer. Makes sense and will be trying it out before too long and that should reduce casualties. Yet another product but it seems to have an advantage over others in this area if you turn wet wood.
George hope you didn't mind me raising the question on your thread

Phil

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 07:45:12 PM »
Not at all Phil I started the thread so that I could learn from others as I like oil as a finish but was not sure what oil is the best.
The consensus seems to lemon oil as I have been using it and Rustans Danish for final coats

Regards George

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 06:59:21 AM »
I use the Liberon Danish oil and find it buffs up well leaving around 8 hours plus between coats.

I've used the Chestnut Hard Wax Oil and it seems quite thick, but one of the semi pro turners at the club who gets a first class finish on his work uses Osmo Hard Wax oil so I got some to try it seems much thinner than the Chestnut but it's three times the price. I've not yet used it on a piece of work I'll post the results when I do.

I'll be trying the Lemon oil that sounds great.

All the best

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »
Rustins Danish Oil for over 26 years simply because I haven't found anything to beat it.

Hi Mark as you turn mostly wet wood do you then immediately apply oil and Bag it wrap it or just leave it to dry naturally.
I have been turning a lot of wet wood lately and then oiling and wrapping in brown paper as a trial.

Regards George