Author Topic: Novice looking for some advice re Arundel K series headstock maintenance  (Read 4889 times)

Martin E

Hello

I am very new to turning in wood and have sort of inherited a Arundel K450 (HD?)

I have got it running but do not have any manuals etc.  Can anyone give advice on where I can get hold of a copy of a Lathe Manual or advise on maintaining the headstock bearings - deep groove Thrust Bearing.

Thank you in advance

Martin E

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
There is a site called lathes.co.uk, which has information about just about any old lathe ever made. You might try contacting the guy who runs the site.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Have you got a particular problem with the bearings? If they are running true with no rumbles or end float perhaps just use the lathe and enjoy learning.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....

And welcome to the forum.

S.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Martin E

Thank you

I have looked at lathes.co.uk and he does not have the 24 page lathe manual just some sales literature.

The lathe is not particularly noisy - I think - but does get warm (not hot) after an hour or so. 

My background is much larger/rapid metal turning with CNC beasts so I was expecting lots of maintenance needs.

Perhaps not applicable?

Martin E

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Hi Martin
I have had one of these lathes for over 40 years and has never been a problem. Bearings are sealed for life, so as suggested until it starts jumping about etc just enjoy it. If you think that it gets warm, you should feel Record DML 305!!!!!
Roger G

Martin E

Thank you Roger Good to know!

I note the difference, the modern twin spindle CNC often does not last 5 years and has to be nursed!

Martin E

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Martin, you need to keep this in perspective, I think. Rapid metal turning on CNC machines usually puts a very heavy load on the bearings, because production time is expensive and therefore must be used as efficiently as possible. Your Arundel lathe is unlikely to ever have seen such loads, plus it's a wood turning lathe. Any lathe will get warm after some time, if for no other reason than the motor not having 100% conversion of electricity into motion. The best motors have around 90%, and often you'll find efficiencies of 70%. On a 1kW motor that means 300W go into heat, so nothing strange here. If there are specific parts that get hotter than others, and rapidly, then I would worry.

Martin E

Thank you Fuzzyturns very good to know.

Amazing what you know when it is pointed out to you.  The lathe does not get specifically hot, just warming on the Motor and Headstock casting which are in  very close proximity on this lathe.  I am probably need to forget the past and just enjoy it once I realise what all the tools do!

Martin E