Author Topic: Pens  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Pens
« on: September 23, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
I have just made some pens as family were saying where`s my pen,after I made myself one early last year,finaly got around to making the 4 pens,two of which are already gone,then I had the end bits of the blanks sitting there,saying make me into something,,so I made myself a fancy dip pen to go with my posh Italian glass one I got on hols to go with my Caligraphy set,heres the pics of the two remaing twist pens and the dip pen,cheers,

Eric,

C+C welcome on these as a novice on pen making.

welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: Pens
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 05:27:21 PM »
Hi Eric

Not able to give you any critique as I haven't ever turned a pen, I just steel Georges when I go there  :) :). They look very nice and if they are comfortable and write then they get top marks from me.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 06:52:16 PM »
Like Mark I can't really give a critique as I haven' ever made pens either but I applaud the use of the off cuts. These also look a lot more comfortable to use than some you see.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 07:10:35 PM »
Eric,

Pens are not my thing.

But before spending many years in the forces, I was a draughtsman, dip pens were the order of the day, and yours looks like it would be really comfortable to hold and work with.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 07:28:24 PM »

Although I have turned a few pens Eric.... they are not really my forte and by no stretch of the imagination am I an Expert
   They look ok from here though, Like the dip Pen
   kind Regards
   Tony d
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Tom Sherman

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »
Fine looking pens Eric, I like the dip pen best.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:23:30 PM »
would love to have a go at pen turning - is it worth buying on the the full pen making kits? or singular items?
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 08:45:05 AM »
would love to have a go at pen turning - is it worth buying on the the full pen making kits? or singular items?

It is possible to make pens without any special equipment but it is a lot easier with the right kit.
Pens make a very nice Christmas present so it is a good time to get making everybody likes a well made pen in a nice box.
There are lots of cheap books on Pen making on Amazon.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 09:03:20 AM »
I have all the pen making stuff,did try before I bought the kit a few years ago ,its ok doing dip pens,but the biro/fountain pens are more awkward without the spacers to gauge the thickness of the finished article,speaking from firsthand experience,only made 5 twist pens,so far and probably a dozen dip pens(in wood except the latest one),I buy my box hinges in model shops,they come with the fixing pins also the closing clips/fasteners,been awhile since I bought some though,normaly buy 40-50 packs in one hit and ask for a discount for cash haha,cheers,

Eric.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 12:07:46 PM »
I find Pens to be a very personal thing so only make them for people when asked. I have the Rotur pen kit with the hollow tail centre and find this to be more acurate as the wall thickness on pens can be very thin. This is my latest one and will be on it's way to Poland with a friend and coach of mine in a week or so when she will be part of Team GB in the European Archery Championships. The ink refill has been supplied by Baufort ink (who advertise in the mag) as it's waterproof and will write well in the rain for scoring. I am also a bit of a trditionalist and don't like many of these hour glass shaped pens but I do remember the dip pen from my school days as Eric's shape is the same as the Platignum School Pen that we all used to love and use.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »
nice looking pen,I can see why a lot make pens,they do look good when finished and wooden ones are a lot quicker than acrylic or polyester to turn.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »

It is possible to make pens without any special equipment but it is a lot easier with the right kit.
Pens make a very nice Christmas present so it is a good time to get making everybody likes a well made pen in a nice box.
There are lots of cheap books on Pen making on Amazon.

Regards George

Thanks for the reply George -  - much appreciated - i do like the idea of making pens eith wood i collect myself,
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?