General Category > General Discussion

design of toolrests.

(1/2) > >>

theblindwoodturner:
Hi folks.

I have decided to work on my own tool rest systems for large turning works and would like a bit of feedback from anyone interested in having special design tool rest systems.

As a turner, I take on projects from delicate works all the way to big, heavy bowls and platters. I've had the chance to work with various lathes in the 11 years and the different tool rests manufactured by both old and current manufacturers.

bearing in mind my old post on looking for a tool rest for large bowl work, I came to the conclusion that I would be better off custom designing rests to suit my requirements and carrying a range of rests to cover bowl and platter works as well as hollow form rests.

I have experience in metalwork so there's no problem there.

I have two main options regarding rests in terms of format.

1: solid 1" diameter  bar for the rest with 1" stem for my lathe (support points added for larger rests)
2: 1-1/2" diameter thick wall tube for rest and 1" stem for lathe (supports added for larger rests_

What would anyone think on this idea and if so, would there be a market for this kind of product? bearing in mind the sizes of stem for each lathe.

As a part of my new side of work and being involved with a certain tool company, my mind is working on new products and accessories to give turners  a series of advantages for specific projects.

So at the mo, I'm playing with figures, designs, measurements and looking to acquire a few metalworking tools to test my designs out.

if anyone's interested or can help on the equipment side of things, etc please leave a message after the..... BEEP!

cheers guys and girls.

lew

Colin:
IMHO the problem with a tool rest made from a piece of round tube or round solid you are moving the tool support point further from the wood. The larger the diameter the further away the support point moves. Also with a circular rest you have a larger cross sectional area if you want to go inside a ball so again it can prevent the rest being close to the wood.

A rest design that I like (I had one made by someone in the UK before I moved here) was a conventional flat rest with a small diameter piece of drill rod welded to the top, this overcomes the problems mentioned above but allows for easy tool movement across the work.

Bryan Milham:
Frans Brown had a rest, he'd made himself, at a demonstration he did for us a couple of months ago.

I've had one made from what I remembered, and must admit it's fantastic for deep vessels. A toolpost with a sliding rest so you can vary the depth into the hollow. It keeps the tool overhang to a minimum and the 3/4 bar rest does not flex (that I've noticed) even if it did it would be far less than any tool 'bounce'.

theblindwoodturner:
that sounds like a great idea. I'm thinking of a few systems at the moment and working on the ergonomics so that I can get the best support for my tools, including the big stuff. The hollowing rest I'm thinking of will be an interesting design. just a question of grinding, profiling and getting a good friend to do some welding, etc.

Cheers dr4g0nfly

lew

Bryan Milham:
Having mentioned it earlier I hope Frans will forgive me as I post a picture of his rest design here.

His version had a small Bristol lever to lock the cross bar where I've used a small Allen headed bolt.

Also mine is made from scrap, yes that is a 19mm bar that was once used as a drill bit!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version