Author Topic: Beech Bowl  (Read 12124 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Beech Bowl
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »
Thank you for commenting Chris I would welcome your feedback on what you do not like about the bowl.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »
I love this. A bit on the chunky side, but I know George loves his bowls that way. And I totally disagree that the inside should have been smoothened out. It's just right the way it is.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »
Thank you for commenting Chris I would welcome your feedback on what you do not like about the bowl.

You have pm

Chris

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 10:46:40 AM »
Thank you for the PM Chris.
I do not agree with copying and posting PM's but as this is a very constructive  critique of this work I am going to put it up for the benefit of all.
Thank you for taking the trouble to do a very positive critique.
I hope you don't mind me sharing it.

Regards George

I’m not sure I can point to any specific point and say I don’t like it.  It’s more about the piece as a whole, especially when compared with the quality of your usual work as seen on here and on your website.

I’m coming at this from the point of view of the quality of your usual bowls which I find very aesthetically pleasing and ‘complete’, in the sense that every aspect of them is clearly thought out and excellently executed.  As such I find your bowls very satisfying to look at.   In contrast, this bowl (Beech bowl  1), for me, ends up as being neither sufficiently graceful nor sufficiently bold to justify the adaptation that you’ve made.
Put simply I don’t find this bowl as satisfying as your usual creations (nor as satisfying as the ‘leaf’ bowl).  I therefore find myself wondering whether I wouldn’t prefer the original bowl as it was before you cut it up.  I don’t feel that way with the ‘leaf’ bowl.

In the comments on the leaf bowl you’ve made clear your desire to be true to the integrity of the purity of the concept (of making the support solely from pieces cut from the bowl without adaptation or alteration) , which I utterly respect.   This does of course make the execution of any such concept much more difficult (and so it should or everyone would be doing it!) as it needs both the ‘constructional’ concept and a clear ‘artistic’ concept for each bowl from the very outset.  The leaf bowl has both and ends up as a very pleasing form, albeit that I would prefer a lighter base, but that is just my taste.

For me, bowl 1 does not have a strong enough artistic concept…….I would prefer it to be much bolder, (for example the top of the arches of the ‘legs’ could be more clearly delineated from the ‘bowl’, being either much higher (almost suspension bridge fashion) or much lower (barely connecting with the underside of the bowl).  I’m certainly not trying to teach you to suck eggs here as you are clearly more than capable of coming up with your own ideas, just trying to illustrate my point.

Your usual work, especially your coloured bowls, demonstrate that you can be very confidently bold in your work and your ideas, both in the form and in the colouring/texturing.  I think this new concept could benefit greatly from that same approach.

Of course these are just my thoughts (well you did ask!) and are necessarily formed in no small part by my own tastes and experiences.  As part of a large artists’ group, www.peakdistrictartisans.co.uk, I am involved in the assessment of a variety of artistic disciplines, both 2d and 3d where objective feedback is the ultimate aim but is often very hard to achieve.   

I hope that’s helpful……it’s certainly helped me clarify my thoughts!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 11:05:26 AM »
Thank you Chris there is a lot of useful and helpful critique there.
The funny thing is I don't particularyy like the second bowl and have taken it apart this morning with a view to making alterations. Both of these are experiments and something I will give more thought to  for future works.
The whole idea of putting works like these up occasionally is to get good feedback so it can be seen through other people eyes .
It is very helpful when people don't like something to say why as you have because it makes me look again rather than think because I have made it it must be right.
Thank you once again.

Regards George 

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 11:12:05 AM »
No problem George, thanks for prompting me to think further about my own reaction.  Don't mind you sharing it all, felt that should be your choice rather than mine.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
Good to get constructive feedback

Regards George

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
Hi George I like the concept of reforming the bowl from its constituent parts and have seen other turners do similar things with variable success. Personally I would have gone for removing a thinner section but I like it. 
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2015, 04:43:34 PM »
Hi Alan thank you for the feedback the problem as I saw it with taking a thinner slice was that the feet would have side grain but giving it further thought I could have removed it so the grain would run with the legs.

Regards George