Author Topic: Where did that 6 months go?  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Where did that 6 months go?
« on: September 24, 2015, 08:13:35 AM »
Time flies when you're having fun, and we certainly had fun for the last 6 months. For those who don't know the background to this, my wife (Sally) and I both had really stressful careers, working in special needs education, and with just a few years to go until we retire, we decided to make the break and run our own business. Yesterday marked the commencement of the second half of our first year's trading - so it's stock sheets and figures for the next few days!
Things have gone well and we've had to build extra display cabinets and shelving for the third time since we opened, and the window display-space has been enlarged by raising its height and adding little shelves dotted about. There's a bit of a lull in trade at the moment, this being a quiet time in  the tourist industry, but local trade continues and we do ok with a few commissions. The next busy week will be the October half term, then it's full steam ahead for the Christmas rush.

C&C always welcome....Les (and Sally)
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Where did that 6 months go?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »
Well done, Les. A bold move to start your own business and looks like you're doing ok. Lots of nice stock there in the shop. Here's to another successful 6 months and beyond. My hat off to you and Sally for getting this going. Good luck for the future. Malcolm.

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 09:20:12 AM »
Les,
I'm pleased for you both that it is going so well, good luck with Christmas sales.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 10:42:45 AM »
something i'd very much like to do myself one day.

are you online? you should get extra business if you have an online presence too.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 11:33:29 AM »
Having seen it I have to say I also admire the way that you are willing to be selective and not just have any old stuff as with some 'craft shops.' Hope that Christmas has you working hard to keep the stock up LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 01:16:50 PM »

A couple of weeks ago on one of our usual September visits to N. Wales. we stopped off at PREN. We were very impressed
  everything on display was of a  high standard and quality ..... with eye catching displays.
  It was a pleasure to meet you both Les... and hope you both continue to do well on your chosen venture
  Kind Regards
  Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:20:36 PM »
congratulations on your first 6 months - so this will be your first christmas in the shop, the shop looks great - i was impressed myself on my visit and hope to call in again in the near future, steve
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »
Les, a stunning g display of your work,I even recognise some of it from your posts.

Well done to the both of you and wishing you both well for the next 6 months and the years to follow.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 07:02:02 AM »
It's great to do what you want to do, it's hard work that makes a successful business but when you love what you do it's not work :)

Looking at your pictures I'm sure you will go from strength to strength.

I look forward to watching you on Dragon's Den in the future.

All the best

Ed

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 07:11:46 AM »
Congratulations on 6 months, but more for both of you taking such a big jump of faith in persuit of a better way of life, it is a frightening leap and you are both deserving the success you have found and worked so hard for. Long may it continue

all the best

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 07:20:56 AM »
Echo all these thoughts...the boy done good!!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 09:40:15 AM »
Well done Les I am pleased things are going well for you.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Tom Sherman

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 11:35:47 AM »
Congratulations on your six month milestone Les, best wishes for continued success.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
It's nice to see a person that obviously has a lot of talent doing well, in saying that the marketing side of any business is so important and I think you have done this very well Les with some very good photographs of the shop. Long may it continue and well done.  Julain
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 05:56:48 PM »
I hope the shop keeps doing well with xmas coming it should hopefully bring you out of the lull,I used to be a self employed Dental Technician,wages were always a bit lower this time of years after the hols even when people needed new dentures,they`d spent it all on the kids during the summer.
welcome to my woodturning world