Author Topic: Beech hollow form  (Read 1661 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Beech hollow form
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:59:55 PM »
I acquired a rather large piece of beech from a friendly benefactor, and proceeded to cut it into pieces and rough turn most of it. All of it was completely wet (and I mean soaking wet). This little hollow form was the first to dry out, as I had turned most of the walls quite thin. By the time I put it back on the lathe, it had distorted to such a degree that any further turning was completely out of the question, and all I could do was finish sand the surface. The colouring is done with spirit stains, and a bit of lacquer on top. The lid is curly olive ash, finished in wax. About 4" diameter and height.

As usual, all C&C welcome.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Beech hollow form
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:04:06 AM »
I don't do very much colouring work, but I can see that in this piece, the darkness of the stain lets the medullary rays really stand out. My only dislike, is the upper rim of the lid, which to me seems too large and detracts from the proportions of the form itself.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 07:19:55 PM »

Certainly think you have made a nice job of this h/F and rather like the colour..... The finial though does not quite sit right for us sorry
  It seems to be a bit top heavy or too big , but it could be the angle you have taken the photo from
  Kind Regards
  Di & Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 10:10:05 PM »
Not 100% behind the forms shape but the colouring more than makes up for that. The staining makes it look like an exotic wood and far more attractive.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 10:32:57 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. As said, I couldn't do much with the shape after it had dried (lesson for the future: get the shape right first time or leave plenty to work with). The lid was somewhat dictated by the opening in the top. In essence its shape is the opposite of the hollow form itself, inside out and upside down. I'll take another pic and post it here, with a straight on sideways view.