Author Topic: RE, Let`s Teach Turning  (Read 9510 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
RE, Let`s Teach Turning
« on: October 28, 2015, 01:52:15 PM »
Has anybody downloaded,bought the Let`s Teach Turning,I downloaded it and have spent a few hours looking through it with a view to getting the badge  at some point in the future,just wondered what your thoughts and opinions are on the course,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: RE, Let`s Teach Turning
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »
I am gulity of downloading but not yet getting round to watching it.....I did start but got side tracked into the workshop.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »
I think it's fabulous  ;D 8) 8) :o :o ;D ;D

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »
I've worked my way through it all sometime ago, applied for the test but having to wait for a date.

I'll need to work through it again :)

It's a great course based on common scene.

Ed

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 07:35:02 PM »
Ed when you applied did they say wether you go to them or they come to you,and how much it costs.

it seems like a very good course to me to,the test,seemed as you say very common sense,so maybe I`ll apply and see what happens.cheers,

Eric.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 08:06:17 PM »
Eric, I have the DVD issued to all club secretaries. If you would like to borrow it let me know and I will bring it to the club Monday week
Ron

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 09:24:04 PM »
Hello everyone

Peter Bradwick and I are running the first Assessment Day at East Herts on November 15th.  We have run one pilot event with some "tame punters" to test out the process, since when Peter fine tuned things and the November assessment will be the first live pilot.  We will also be training some more assessors. 

We want to get the assessment process correct before we announce it formally.  Peter will be announcing the full application process in the next Revs all being well.  Hopefully we will be able to hold assessment centres regionally, depending on the demand.

There isn't any charge for the assessment as it is a member benefit and only open to AWGB Members, although the courses is open to all (donations are always welcome though!).  We have even had enquiries from the USA.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers Dave

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 11:04:10 PM »
 Ron,I think the download is the same as the DVD,so should be ok with the download,thanks for the thought though.

Dave,thanks for the clarification on things and the first date,don`t know if I`d manage that one,so will wait for next Revs and see what`s what then.

Cheers,

Eric.

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 06:54:11 PM »
Is there to be any external moderation or validation ? If so by whom ?

Allan

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 07:21:46 PM »
Hi Eric

I think that Dave has answered your question, sorry I've not been at a computer today.

I told Peter when I applied that I would be willing to travel to a venue.

All the best

Ed

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
Is there to be any external moderation or validation ? If so by whom ?

Allan

Not quite sure what you have I mind Allan.  Peter and I are both qualified assessors.  Please let me know

Cheers Dave

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 10:49:41 AM »
I'm waiting for another course to be arranged at The Mill.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 07:00:11 PM »
Hi Dave - I think what has been produced ref "lets teach Turning" is an excellent start, but I also think the structure surely requires not only 'assessors' but both internal ( from within AWGB) and external verifiers (from an awarding body such as CITB, NETA, C&G etc. These bodies were also required to satisfy stringent quality standards relating, not only to the delivery of training but also to the design element of all its related aspects. I appreciate that to aim for ISO 9001 award and the Involvement of BSI or Yarsley Quality Assurance would be a step too far but feel a more robust structure should  to be considered. Over the top ? maybe, but just my thoughts to help stimulate debate.

Allan

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 08:42:02 AM »
Thanks for the comments Allan. 

Our objective was to provide a training course similar to the Demonstrator Training Course we have had in place for many years which gave people the confidence to pass on their woodturning skills safely and in an appropriate manner.  We make it very clear that this relates to basic woodturning skills. 

The purpose of the Assessment Day is to assess whether people have reached this standard.  The AWGB is the awarding body and only AWGB members can be assessed.  We have no plans to involve anyone outside the AWGB in terms of verification or assessment.   

Peter Bradwick, our Development and Training Officer, will approve new assessors with input and help from myself (as I said before we both qualified assessors).   When we run assessment days (please note these aren't courses) there will always be two assessors so if there is any doubt a second opinion can be sought.

For the purposes of this award and the course we believe this is sufficient for now.

Cheers Dave

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 08:34:15 PM »
I have bought the DVD for our school and think it is excellent.  It provides a safe working structure to pass on to other wood turners. It has lots of practical tips to help us communicate to an audience, it covers the basics really well.
My only small concern is the formality may discourage some youngsters from 'having a go, but none the less student safety is paramount.  This video is designed more for adults
I start students off with a scraper - but there is nothing more captivating than seeing the a gouge produce long ribbon like shavings.
    Regards. Haggy