Author Topic: Scorched and scoured vase  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Scorched and scoured vase
« on: November 15, 2015, 04:45:52 PM »
I rarely experiment with texture, but have been wanting to try this for some time. This is a glass-lined vase out of a piece of 4x4 oak, 10" long - in fact, it was timber converted into fence-posts. The surface was scorched and scoured with a very fine, suede brush, then buffed with lime-wax, dried for a couple of days and then sealed with 2 coats of hard-wax oil, which in turn were given a few days each to harden before finally being buffed.

The buttons were added to give a bit more interest, and are of acacia burr (25mm, 18mm and 12mm diameter), recessed into the surface.

This next piece is the prototype that I tried the technique on. It was turned from the pointy end of the fence post and has been nabbed by SWMBO as a desk-pot for the shop.

C&C always welcome. ... Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Scorched and scoured vase
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 06:02:12 PM »
Lez,

these are probably the most different thing I've seem done with oak, old fence post of otherwise.

Both are well executed and finished but it's the uniqueness of the addition of the simple button forms that bring them to life.

Not 100% sure about the sticking out bit on the second vase, but who's going to argue with a SWMBO - not me!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 06:16:24 PM »

Not 100% sure about the sticking out bit on the second vase....

...ah...well I was going to put a little, flat lid on it, but felt that the quality wasn't good enough to sell, so I didn't waste any more time on it...hence Sal nabbing it for a desk-pot.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 07:44:06 PM »

Certainly got a good effect with the texturing Les.... and the buttons have added another element..... Like the finish.
         The first one is my favourite... Tony Likes the shape of the second.
        Kind Regards
        Tony & Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 07:57:16 PM »
Couple of nice pieces there Les ... I quite like the combination of scorched wood and natural wood together , I am quite in to scorching work myself , especially Oak and Ash as they produce good texture , scorching can make otherwise bland wood a lot more exciting and they always look good in a display of woodwork providing a contrast to brown and smooth ....Terry ..

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 08:00:53 PM »
I like the texturing on both pieces, Les. Both look good to me, except unlike the others, the addition of the buttons does nothing for me. I would prefer them just as textured forms, but then that is only my opinion. Malcolm.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »
Love the texturing effect and the colour you have achieved but the buttos for me at least are surplud. Hey we all have different taste,

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 10:20:22 PM »
I really prefer the second one, and I think I could have done without the button. And I do actually like the bit that sticks on the top. Almost as if the tree was trying to regrow from a burned stump. I also don't think that perfection is required in every aspect. Sometimes it's the imperfection that sells a piece that is otherwise well balanced. Wabi Sabi and all that.