Author Topic: Split-turned walnut vase  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Split-turned walnut vase
« on: November 21, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
Split-turned hollow vase

Let me say from the outset, that this design was heavily inspired by a project that Mark Sanger had published in Woodturner, so it was clearly meant to be reproduced. Mark’s piece was actually wet-turned from a fresh oak log, but mine was turned from a walnut log which had been stored under cover for several years by a local gentleman who called at my shop one day and asked me if I wanted (for free) a load of dry logs and planks that he had accumulated over the years  -  I like people like that!
The log was a true circular section at one end, so that became the base, but quite elliptical at the other, so that became the top. It’s overall dimensions are 20” x 8” (50cm x 20cm) and was split at about 7” (18cm) up from the base. It’s by far the deepest vessel I’ve worked on, and I’m not too happy with the inside, although the top four or five inches are fine and the opening is much too small for an adult hand. I did consider narrowing the base further, which would have added a little to the height, but I felt that it would become too unstable, so it doesn’t truly reflect the rule-of-thirds.
Turning it took about three and a half hours to do all the initial shaping, splitting, hollowing and gluing back together, then a further half hour to remount the complete vase and turn away the top-end tenon and blend it in to the inner and outer shapes, half an hour to cut and scorch all the scorch-lines, then a final half hour to reverse mount, turn away the foot tenon, seal and polish. So it owes me for five hours work, which will probably increase to five and a half by the time I finish buff-waxing it.

C&C always welcome, and I do hope that Mark likes it.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Split-turned walnut vase
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 03:16:09 PM »
not my style but very nicely turned.

as to the inside have you thought of using sand paper on a stick if your hands are too big?

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 04:21:39 PM »
Bloody gorgeous.   Love it.  Don't understand this 'split' thing though.....maybe I should buy a magazine....

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 05:01:52 PM »
...Don't understand this 'split' thing though.....maybe I should buy a magazine....

Ha ha!...it was cut from the log, about 2" (5cm) longer than the finished vase, then first mounted between centres so that it could be trued up, roughed out to shape and a 4" (10cm) tenon cut on each end, to fit my deep-grip jaws. Then it was cut in half and hollowed from the inside with a rebate cut into the rim of the base, matching a tongue cut into the rim of the top. The rebate was given a generous amount of CA glue before the two halves were joined back together with the grain lining up, and it was clamped between centres to hold it tight while the glue dried. The joint was finally hidden by cutting the first groove into it, then using the tips of a beading tool to cut the rest of the grooves.

Steve....my issue is not with sanding, it's a general difficulty that I have getting a good clean line when I'm hollowing....I tend to leave lots of ridges/

Les

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 05:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Les, saved me £3.95 there  ;D  I love the shape, very elegant, and the rings add real interest.  The whole thing is vaguely reminiscent of the neck riungs worn by the Padaung....  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/157555686940049458/

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 06:31:42 PM »
This is beautiful, and there's nothing about this that I don't like.
I can understand your frustration about the ridges when hollowing, but honestly, other than fellow turners, who's going to look on the inside for ridges?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 06:36:13 PM »
This is beautiful, and there's nothing about this that I don't like.
I can understand your frustration about the ridges when hollowing, but honestly, other than fellow turners, who's going to look on the inside for ridges?

....I have seen many a hollow form left with ridges on the inside and the gallery staff saying that it's deliberate, so that potential buyers can feel a connection with the working processes of the artist....but I'd still like to get a better finish!
Les

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 06:51:22 PM »
Very nice Les and a big piece always looks good in any display of work !!  How to complete a piece should ideally be considered at the design stage ie open enough to get inside to sand or enclosed enough to not be an issue ,  One solution could be to paint / stain the interior or use a small hollowing scraper style tip 6 mm perhaps and cut successive  shallow grooves all down the inside leaving a purposely ribbed interior , but as others have said it is mostly other turners who look inside ...but ... they are unlikely to buy it !!!   good stuff though nice to see you are trying different styles and sizes of work  keep it up !

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 08:19:42 PM »

Nice bit of walnut Les .... In Fact Like every thing about this piece....... You must have a lot of patience.
    Kind Regards
    Tony d
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 08:26:22 PM »
Very nice , Les. The method you use in hollowing two halves and then joining them back together is what I use frequently when making large segmented pieces. This way you can get better internal access and finer cuts. That method allows you to use a round ended scraper to smooth away any ridges and then sand smooth before rejoining. The join is all that is left to clean up inside. Anyway this is a nice looking piece and I am sure it will sell well in your shop. Well done for trying something different again. Malcolm.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 07:51:40 PM »
Would you like some free wood? I hope you stopped chewing before you got to his elbow.  What a nice man he must have been.

An interesting variation on Marks magazine article, and much larger to boot.

I've always seen vases this big as being floor mounted with something dramatic poking out of them, like Pampas Grass fronds, so I hope you've left enough weight in the base to counter balance something tall being put in it.

It's certainly is a statement piece.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 12:43:45 AM »
Very smart Les like it a lot. The rings really set the piece off well.

Sanding the inside Simon Hope does a long Pro Sander which can also be fitted in to a handle so you can sand pretty deep.

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
Sanding the inside Simon Hope does a long Pro Sander which can also be fitted in to a handle so you can sand pretty deep.

Ed
Cheers, Ed, but it's not the sanding that's the problem, it's controlling the hollowing tools. I use mostly a solid carbide ring tool and I just can't get a clean line with it....perhaps I just need lots more practice

Les

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »
Hi Les

Nice vase indeed I am glad the article is of use and it is a much simpler way of producing deep vessels than fighting with the hollowing tool. The issue of ridges is a problem with solid carbide cutters in that they can be too aggressive on occasions and difficult to control fir finer cuts, especially with a long over hang/depth one option would to be using a large heart shaped scraper to refine the finish and you progress. I have one that fits my hollowing tool and as such allows me to scrap/finish/refine down to as far as the bar will reach, 12-14 inches no probs. 

If you want more info just let me know and I will post a picture.