Author Topic: Cherry bowl  (Read 1725 times)

Offline TWiG

• gold
Cherry bowl
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:15:42 PM »
This bowl ( approx 8" dia ) was from a section of wood straddling the graft union on the main stem , the 2 different woods can clearly be seen at the bottom 1/3 of the bowl , however I had to hollow in to end grain which is not so easy on a deep bowl and more sanding than usual was required due to torn grain .  Just an example of what lies within a piece of wood that most people wood not identify as being desirable ...

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Cherry bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:10:43 PM »

Had some grafted Apple a while ago Terry but it didn`t work out...... yours certainly has..... Though it can be a challenge.
   Nice wood .. Nice Finish... Nice Work
   kind regards
   Tony d

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »
Good job, Tony. Love the grain pattern. Well turned too. Malcolm.

Online Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »
With grain as wild as that, it's a good job that you kept the profile simple. It's difficult to tell from the overhead shot, but it looks as though the bowl wall is very heavy...did you choose that for any particular reason?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 07:39:12 PM »
Terry,

I've never seen a scarf joint turned before, the differences in the timber on both sides is amazing, I'd never of thought there would be so  much difference.

I can understand the shape you've turned, but it is a shame it was not able to bring the scarf nearer the top, to make more of it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 09:12:09 PM »
Les ... the rim is fairly thick and slightly undercut , partly through design and also this was horrid to turn end grain and chatter was becoming a problem so decided to not go thinner ....                .Dragonfly ....    Unfortunately the piece of wood had cracks and some decay so I was a bit dictated by the wood as to shape and how I was able to position the joint , I have in the past done a hollow form with a similar piece of wood to good effect though .   I envisage this bowl to be displayed at a level to view the form and grain pattern rather than at table level with contents of some sort ...... preferably ....Terry