Author Topic: Turning bone  (Read 7020 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Turning bone
« on: December 09, 2015, 07:59:32 PM »
I have an inquiry from a string instrument restorer to make some pins for him. The originals were made from ivory, obviously not an option for the replacements. I suggested either bone or tagua nut (vegetable ivory), but I think the bone is better suited for this. Does anybody here have any experience in turning bone? How hard is the stuff, and how well does it finish? Any special tricks to use? Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Turning bone
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 08:18:10 PM »
One piece of advise......first find a subject who/which does not suffer with osteoporosis!
 :D :D :D :D :D
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:40:49 PM »
i would recommend using genuine lignum, snakewood or even boxwood if bone is a problem.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:27:56 PM »
Bone has a porous centre which can be a problem. Same with antler. You can get alternative ivory here. Bone also has the disadvanyage of stinking really badly when turning it.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 10:47:03 PM »
Fuzzy bone needs to be specially treated before it can be used, I can't remember how but memory tells me it should be soaked in an acid or bleach, possibly hydrogen peroxide or something similar. Be careful as some of the enzymes that are present could be a health threat. And as Pete said the stuff absolutely reeks when you turn it.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 11:03:07 PM »
Hmm, sounds like bone might not be such a good idea. I am not sure about the stuff from Axminster. These pins are meant for historical instruments (I am talking 17th and 18th century), and I don't know how the owners would feel about a piece of plastic. Has anybody ever tried tagua nut?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 12:11:36 AM »
I stock the GP Agencies range of resin blanks and they do an aged ivory which is more yellowish you can find it here https://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product/gps-round-rod-blanks/

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 06:22:10 AM »
.... Has anybody ever tried tagua nut?
Yes....I turned a couple as novelty key ring fobs, leaving the outer texture present on a part, but cutting and shaping the dense white heart as well. It was beautiful stuff to cut and gave a good finish.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 08:16:11 AM »
Might be worth getting hold of Bill Jones book Notes from the turning shop. It's been a long while since I read it but I seem to remember him writing about turning bone, if nothing else it's a very enjoyable enlightening read.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 08:38:03 AM »
I'm fairly sure Richard Findley (www.turnersworkshop.co.uk/) showed something similar to what you are talking about on his Instagram feed a few weeks ago which was followed by a short discussion on materials available in place of ivory.  Might be worth a call.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »
I have turned lots of bone pieces in to lace makers bobbins, and had no problems with it as suggested above. When I first started using it, the bone (regular cow bone from a butchers) was boiled up to clean it. This makes an awful stink if done in the kitchen. The main problem I found was obtain a straight enough and thick enough piece to be useful to turn. I was looking for pieces about 6mm square by 100mm long. I eventually resorted to buying bone from a pet store as this was already cleaned and sterilised. The blanks were cut from the bone using a bandsaw. It usually finishes well with sharp tools only and can be engraved easily. I think your main problem will be finding bone which will yield large enough pieces for you want. Hope this helps. Malcolm.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 09:34:56 AM »
I think your main problem will be finding bone which will yield large enough pieces for you want.
Well, that's actually not really a problem. I found this website, and that would fit the bill bang on.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 11:05:47 AM »
John Berkeley will probably be your best bet for advice,if he`s still around that is,as he turns miniatures in bone and wood,theres an article on page 81 called mini marvels in a book called intermediate woodturning projects published by GMC Publications ISBN 1-86108-064-6 last reprint 2000,I don`t know if john has any books published in his own right though,hope this helps,Regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »
I've left a message about this on JB's phone.

Screwples

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 03:16:36 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks Tony, I trust you are well.

Eric, I do cover bone turning in my Screwples No7 DVD, but not, I think in my book. Thanks for the thought.

I have turned quite a lot of bone over the years. Lots of crib pegs. As mentioned Bill Jones books are a mine of information on this and so many other interesting things.

My source of bone has also been pet shops, where some sell bleached bone, and on line. Thickness of the walls does vary but you may get up to 10mm if you are lucky. Another source is The Highland Horn Co. to be found on Google. They actually sell pre cut blanks. I learned  on a TV program that leg bone of hippopotamus is, unlike all other bone, solid, but where to get it from is the problem.

Good bone, well finished, and Ivory are not always easy to tell apart, though bone needs to be very good to match up. Bone has good tensile strength, unlike the alternative look alike. It turns best after overnight soaking and turns, like most other alternative materials, using a negative rake. My main tools are 1/4 point and combination tools and a square tool. It cuts well to size with care on a band saw. I found that when overheated it does smell but never found it to be a problem.

If I can be of further help please either email or phone me. details on my .biz website.

Have lots of fun at your lathes,, Cheers, John.