Author Topic: teak bowl.  (Read 3204 times)

Offline wider

• gold
teak bowl.
« on: December 20, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »
this bowl was made from timber of HMS Trincomalee the oldest floating warship in the world.

Offline wider

• gold
Re: teak bowl.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »
hope fully a better photo of this bowl.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 08:20:54 PM »
I'm supprioeded no one has responded to this on previously. It's the sort of thing that appeals in this forum. And I certainly like it, very innovative.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 02:12:09 PM »
I've looked at it before. To be quite honest, I don't quite know what to say to (or about) it. It just doesn't appeal all that much. Pete might have a different view.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 04:58:16 PM »
It does not do anything for me.
And it is about time he sorted out getting his pics a reasonable quality and the right size.
More quality and less quantity would help

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 06:07:32 PM »
If I am the Pete you are referring to Fuzzy then I am more inclined to yours and Georges view I am afraid. I do like pieces with natural faults but this seems to be more man made faults and as such looks unfinished. The concept appeals I admit but it doesn't work as a piece for me....sorry.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 07:41:33 PM »
thank you to all for your comments. as a newbe to this forum I have had problems posting photos to the sit. I have since  found out how to provide quality and not quantity. as for the addition of the metal bar. it is part of the ships heritage as it was placed there when the ship was restored (probably after a sea battle). and is there to strengthen the planks as they were getting fitted. so in a way it is man made but for a reason and I received the timber with the bar in it so thought it would be good to leave it there as it is part of the history of both the timber and the ship. I am sorry that it tends to be not of your taste but we cannot please every one can we.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 08:28:02 PM »
I am sorry that it tends to be not of your taste but we cannot please every one can we.

Don't be sorry, if we all liked the same thing the forum would be full of boring same old things. Personally I like the fact that  people say what they feel instead of the usual 'Oooh it's lovely' you get on some forums.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 08:29:23 AM »
Actually I nearly like this piece. IMHO I think leaving it as it is it looks as though nothing has been done to it and it is part of the ship (great find by the way) I would prefer to see a hit and miss bead around the bowl edge which will then show it has definately been worked since being removed. Hope you understand the point I am making.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »
here is a few photos of the same bowl with the metal bar removed.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 07:18:19 PM »
Strange, I immediately understood the metal bar.

Removing it and it could just be a worm hole, for them that don't know, Teredo Worm or Ship Worm can make a hole as big as your thumb.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!