General Category > General Discussion

Can't stick, won't stick

<< < (3/3)

BrianH:
Hi all
Those of you following my tales of resin induced woe might be interested in the following advice received from Marilyn. She also kindly attached handouts entitled 'Guidelines for using epoxy', 'Easy inlay platter' and 'Bandsaw inlay for platters' If anyone wants a copy let me have an e-m address via PM and I will happily forward.

""""""The cling wrap is not enough in itself to hold the overlay while you turn it...... at the very least, the wrap has to be held tight with an elastic or be taped to the form. This much allows you to gently turn a small lip at the outermost edge.  Then take the overlay off,  pull the wrap from the inside and replace it onto the form and use the lip to tape it.  Then it is held fairly securely to the form for turning.  Don't forget if you want an even wall thickness for the overlay to put some holes or slots into it wherever your design allows while it is off the form.

Or, what I showed at the demo, the overlay ran over the edge and formed its own grip........ but you can't judge the thickness unless you take it off before turning.  So much of how you do this technique depends on the form your choose and your design idea for the overlay itself...... methods change accordingly but whatever works is my motto."""""

I'm also going to try a couple of stopped holes drilled into the timber below the overlay (Before 'buttering') which should make replacing the cured overlay more accurate as well as giving a mechanical drive during the turning.
All excitin stuff, aint it ::)
 Tarra
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version