General Category > General Discussion

Can't stick, won't stick

<< < (2/3) > >>

BrianH:
Hi Lionel,
Ain't aging a boggr?
I also remember Marilyn using one-sticky-side film but don't think that was in use during the overlay demo. Having said that I can't think what else she would have used it for! I went to three of her demos (a seminar record for me) and I am afraid it is only the very basic ideas from each that have come home with me. I suppose that's enough to start me on my own personal path though!
To bring you all up to date on 'Resinate Number One' the cling film I used did, as expected, have insufficient hold for me to scrape the hardened resin...as Maralyn had done, but I had used 'Inlace' rather than 'West System' and it had dried with a bubble-free, stone-like texture. I taped the cured overlay in place to tidy up where necessary and then left the surface natural. The completed piece, now finished all bar the glue up, is fine as a first attempt but as well as the problems mentioned I need to work on the proportion of black to exposed timber as the black resin overlay plus a rather too chunky finial takes all the glory from the exposed timber.
Next time I'm in Asdescoburies I'll lash out on some expensive cling film and see if there is a difference from the Lidl stuff. I'll let you all know what I discover.
Is there anyone else out there walking this path and wanting to exchange experiences either here or via PM?
Thanks for your time and help everyone
Brian

Martin Lawrence:
Hi All,

Just a suggestion will a fixing spray do the job.

Cheers Martin

BrianH:
Hello Martin
You don't say if you were at the Seminar demo(s) so I'm sorry if I'm about to teach Granny to suck eggs. The basic idea is to lay a sheild (cling film) over the required portion of the turned item, a hollow form in my case. Then to 'Butter' a layer of wet resin over the top and allow to cure. Then remount the hollow form to scrape the surface of the cured resin before removing resin/cling film from the wood for further piercing/texturing etc from the Dremel and finally supergluing the finished resin overlay back into place.
I'm not sure where a spray would would fit but ta for the thought.
I have now fired off an e-mail to Marilyn in Canada to ask for a reminder. Needless to say I'll post the result here.
Tarra again
Brian

Martin Lawrence:
Hi Bryan,

I was one of them in the orange T shirts but did not see the demo you were on about so my thoughts were as usual useless lol

Cheers Martin.

BrianH:
Orange shirt, Martin? Not another one making a fashion statement!!!
I can't agree that relevent thoughts are ever useless because they might just trigger another in someone else's noggin.
I've re-cut my chunky finial in a desparate search for a little more elegance. Whatever the result I think Number one has taught me all the lessons it can so it is time to move onto 'Resinate Number Two'.
Tataaaaaaaaaaa ;)
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version