Author Topic: Box on a stand  (Read 3426 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Box on a stand
« on: January 10, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »
I had this idea going around in my head for quite some time, and had bits and pieces of it done over several months. This weekend I finally managed to put it all together. The body of the box is monkeypuzzle, the three-legged stand is plum (or damson), the lid is rippled ash (with a bit of spalting) the knob is leadwood. It's about 6.5" across and 6" tall.
As usual, all C&C welcome.

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Box on a stand
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:03:26 PM »
Love the box and the idea as a whole but for me personally the stand just looks a bit to chunkie for the box

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 08:06:33 PM »
The box and the lid really work for me, but their delicacy is a little overwhelmed by the chunky stand. I appreciate that the tripod supports need to be quite chunky to avoid weak, short grain, so perhaps the design could have benefited from steam-bent slender legs!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I must say, it is not entirely unexpected. As usual, the real thing looks somewhat different in the flesh compared to the design drawing. I would consider this a prototype, and the legs/supports will definitely be more delicate the next time around. BTW, there isn't really a problem with strength, as the support stand was essentially cut from an end grain bowl.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 07:13:07 PM »
... there isn't really a problem with strength, as the support stand was essentially cut from an end grain bowl.

Hmm....I'm not so sure. I was suggesting that strength would be a problem if the tripod legs were any thinner and your explanation that they are from a single end-grain bowl makes me even more certain of that. Sure....with the base this heavy, they'll be strong enough, but surely not if the legs were thinner.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 10:17:42 PM »
You have the grain going right across the curves on the stand Fuzzy which  would make them very vulnerable. In a bowl it wouldn't be a problem but in a small cross section like this it wouldn't take much for them to snap. One alternative would be to glue up some pieces cross sectioned to make the stand. That way you would have the grain going in at least two different directions giving extre strength. If you did it with three woods of contrasting colour it could be a feature in its own righ?

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:30:24 PM »
Looks OK to me.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 07:41:46 PM »
Fuzzy,

All I see wrong with the base is the varying thickness, it is thicker at the angle than at the centre, it the thickness changed constantly, thinning to the top supports I think it would look a little more elegant and lighter in detail.

And I'll ask, are you sure about the plum or damson, it seems very pale it lacks the colour and twisted grain I associate with plum.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »
Firstly, thanks for all the comments.
I realize that the design needs a little tuning, especially the stand. These designs are all experiments, they start out in my head, then go onto some paper, and finally I make them. In this case, I did deviate from the drawing, and it wasn't for the better.
Yes, it would probably look better if the supports were a little thinner overall (but same width) and had a linearly decreasing thickness from the centre towards the three tips. Something to remember for next time. Another variation I can see is to have 4, 5 or 6 legs, but for anything more than 4 I would probably have to use a constructed stand.
I am pretty sure about plum/damson, that's how I got it from my tree surgeon and I still have a 4ft piece of it with bark on (ends sealed with paint and plastic sheets).

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 12:35:28 AM »
are the legs made from that wood you gave me?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 07:22:13 AM »
Hi Fuzzy

I like the concept very much the box is quite striking with a bit of modification to the base and I think the piece will really POP

All the best

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »
are the legs made from that wood you gave me?
No, they are from an end-grain bowl I rough turned about 8 months ago. It's essentially a bowl with three sections cut out, and then the legs were milled to a decent finish (on my engineering lathe/miller) and then sanded in the normal way.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 12:22:33 AM »
i really like this and have a slight extension to it. by the use of magnets hope to show it in a short time.