Author Topic: Oriental pot  (Read 2872 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Oriental pot
« on: January 30, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
Looking through the various books and web sites for oriental shapes this one cropped up. This is burr oak, (with obligatory holes of course) and is 210mm tall, including finial and 40mm diameter. Hollowed to 5mm. C&C welcome as always.

Pete

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Oriental pot
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
I really like this one, Pete. It's got a good visual sense of balance, both in the finial and in the pot, and all the elements come together quite well.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
Thank you les, one of those pieces that has been sitting around waiting to be finished. May put it onto some kind of base but we'll see.

pete

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 08:09:22 AM »
Another lovely turned piece Pete, but then we could not expect anything thing less  :)

I'm not so keen on the dangle bits but that's just taste or lack of on my part  :)

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 07:38:46 PM »
Pete,

If you'd told me that you'd poured resin into a bowl of spaghetti and turned this bowl form from you I would have believed you, that grain is well long and twisty.

The Bowl on it's own, even the bowl and finial don't shout Orient to me, what brings it all together is the cross bar with the two hanging disks. They bring it all together and yes, it has a great oriental feeling. Amazing how such a small extra thing gives it so much more.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 08:21:25 PM »
Thank you Ed and Brian. The actual shape of the 'bowl' was based on an ols chinese one I found in a book. Something I have come to realise is that we get really set in our minds what constitutes a look. Having said that i have added as Brian said with the finial and arm to try and enhance it, hopefully successfully.

pete

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 03:31:03 PM »
great pot,I love the finial with the dangly bits,works for me,and might steal the idea at some point,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world