Author Topic: Ash canker bowl  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Ash canker bowl
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:57:38 PM »
Of all the organic pieces that I turn, I think that ash cankers are my favourite. This most recent piece is one of about 30 assorted bowls that I've just finished in a marathon of stock production for the shop. It's about 10" diameter x 4" deep, and is riddled with rippled grain  and bark incursions.

The finish is very thin cellulose followed by microcrystaline wax applied by hand on a fine nyweb pad, buffed out by hand.

The best of it was that I got this piece cheap because it had a hole right through it!

C&C always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Ash canker bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:36:40 AM »
Not to sure about this one Les. Got a feeling it looks a lot better in the flesh (wood) than in the photo. The 'spots' look odd to me there butno doubtin real life they are much better.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 06:56:08 AM »
Nice bowl Les.

In real life the bowl must come to life and the buying public must just love picking something like this up.

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »
Not to sure about this one Les. Got a feeling it looks a lot better in the flesh (wood) than in the photo. The 'spots' look odd to me there butno doubtin real life they are much better.

Pete
Hi Pete....I'll see if I can get a macro shot of the 'spots', I feel that they add to the character of the bowl.
Nice bowl Les.

In real life the bowl must come to life and the buying public must just love picking something like this up.

Ed
Cheers Ed....yep, it's very tactile and people love to touch it. The clean areas of grain have a feel of marble, but the ripples have rippled since cutting (it was about 25 % moisture when I turned it), so it offers lots of different textures....very tactile.

Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »
Pete....I called in to the shop and took a couple of close-ups of the 'spots'

....they also indicate just how wild the grain is inside the cankers that i'm currently turning.

Les

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 05:12:26 PM »
Have a look at www.tonyhandford.co.uk gallery some apple cankers in there

Fred

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »
Of all the organic pieces that I turn, I think that ash cankers are my favourite. This most recent piece is one of about 30 assorted bowls that I've just finished in a marathon of stock production for the shop. It's about 10" diameter x 4" deep, and is riddled with rippled grain  and bark incursions.

The finish is very thin cellulose followed by microcrystaline wax applied by hand on a fine nyweb pad, buffed out by hand.

The best of it was that I got this piece cheap because it had a hole right through it!

C&C always welcome...Les
Very nice Les, I like these type of wild grain bowls, always fun turning them too. A job well done.
Rgds Gary

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 07:28:39 PM »
Les, I keep coming back and looking at this, about time I said something.

I've only ever had a couple of cankers but they looked just like this, wild twisted grain around the damage and rot giving a great visual effect.

I think you've done right in keeping the overall bowl simple, too much decoration would have clashed with the work nature did.

I like it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Tony Nicol

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 10:45:57 AM »
I like this a lot, Les. A simple shape which allows the figure of the wood to speak for itself.

I confess that at first glance I thought it was a burr that had been wrongly identified, due in part to the wild grain which is very much what you see in a burr and the dark spots looked like bark inclusions. The closeups of the cankerous areas set me right, however, but I am very surprised that the grain seems to contort due to the canker. I always thought of canker as a destructive process which wouldn't have time to influence the wood growth. I need to get out more and look for some similar wood!

Tony

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 05:20:35 PM »
Nice simple bowl Les,the cankers and figuring of the grain make it for me though,great piece,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world