Author Topic: Help requested  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Help requested
« on: March 05, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »
The AWGB has been contacted by an Australian woodturner who is trying to identify a UK turner who turned a beautiful elm burr bowl that he is currently refurbishing.
Here's what he's asked us...
I’m seeking assistance in identifying the woodturner who made this English elm burr bowl which I had the task of refurbishing recently. The makers name is on the base of the bowl – it appears to be Ian/Jan James/Janes. The bowl had belonged to a family living in Sth Scotland, and had been in the family for ‘many’ years, so possibly 20-30 years, perhaps more. The bowl was given to me to restore, having been cracked, then left out in the weather for several years. It is a lovely piece of wood, and has been beautifully turned. It would be nice to identify the creator of this piece, and I’d think he/she might well be interested to know what has become of it.
Regards, Jeff Fraser, Queensland, Australia

Can anyone throw any light on this?
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Help requested
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »
How anybody can leave a piece like that out in the weather is a complete mystery to me. Sorry, can't help with the turner, haven't been in the game long enough.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
Probably needs Ray Key to pay us a visit. If he doesn't know I doubt anyone does.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 07:33:02 PM »
Not a name I've ever come across either.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 05:32:29 AM »
Mystery solved.....Jeff has written from  Australia..
The mystery has been solved. Sandy Henderson replied to an email enquiry, confirming that the bowl had been made by Ian Jones. Sandy replied as follows - " Greetings from Inverness Jeff, The subject bowl was turned by a good friend and fellow woodturner of mine, Ian Jones, who for many years stayed and turned in Landbryde near Elgin in Scotland. Ian left Scotland some 5-6 years ago and now stays in Cambridge, England. He no longer turns but we keep in touch with each other. I shall be only too happy to inform him where his bowl has turned up (excuse the pun) !
Trust this will be of some use to you and the family who now own it. I hope they treasure it, not only because you have made a lovely job of refurbishing it, but Burr Elm is now as scarce as hen's teeth and very costly ! Your as aye, Sandy"

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 08:19:29 AM »
Thats nice.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?