Author Topic: Rough and rougher :)  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Rough and rougher :)
« on: March 10, 2016, 09:26:13 PM »
With a nod to Tony and Di's excellent set of textured pieces....here's a little commission that I've been working on recently. The customer for whom I made the huge yew n/e bowl, asked me if I could do something for him with 4 pieces of oak. They had originally been a part of a beam from his nain's (that's 'granny's' to non-Welsh speakers) barn and he thought that he'd use it to make a lintel or a mantle shelf in his own house. however, he was cutting firewood with his chain saw when he suddenly realised that he'd cut the beam into 4 short pieces.....bu***r!
So here's the brief....."Make as many small bowls as you can, but make 'em so that I can tell that they've been made out of my old beam. I want to see evidence of the hand of man, every bit as much as the hand of nature".

How un-inspiring is that?

...but after a little while, they tookm on the shape of 4 pots....

...and after hollowing, micro-waving and treating with Cuprinol 'Worm Killer', they were given a few coats of Danish Oil and buffed....just enough to give a sheen, but not to over-do it. There was plenty of evidence of former life left on them. Worm tracks, adze marks and lime-wash paint....and the insides were all left tool-marked.

There was one tall pot, which will stand alone, and a graded set of three. Here's the tall pot...

...and the set of three.

C&C always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Rough and rougher :)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 09:47:23 PM »
Les they look to have been turned very well but not my cup of tea.

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:09:40 PM »
bet they were fun to turn!!!! Always nice to do a sentimental turning job, not always the easiest considering the materials you are given. I think your customer will be pleased with these Les.

Nicely done.

Rgds

Gary

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 11:12:27 PM »
I've seen them in the flesh when I paid Les a visit on Tuesday this week, and I can tell you they look even nicer in real light of day. Definitely very likeable.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 06:37:53 AM »
I think that you have ticked all your customers boxes with these Les

Nicely done

Ed

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »

Now that's a coincidence Les only just finished one very similar and  also for sentimental reasons out of mulberry for a friend.
     Feel sure your customer will be very pleased with these, well  and carefully finished pots.
     Kind Regards
     Tony d

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »
I like them Les........ But they are not bowls. :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 05:26:44 PM »
I like them Les........ But they are not bowls. :)

...indeed not, they are pots! What is more, they are pots that have gone. The customer called in to collect them this afternoon and just stood with his mouth agape, in disbelief that the 4 pots could have come from the 4 lumps of firewood. He's happy, I'm happy and my bank manager will be happy (well, happier).

Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 06:50:47 PM »
Like Graham I noted they weren't bowls but a very happy customer is the litmus test.

Personally I like the left hand one in the group of 3 but I can just see a hole in the back of the right hand one, too big and too round to be anything but the hand of man, I think I'd like to have seen it face on, just for the interest.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 07:15:35 PM »
Like Graham I noted they weren't bowls ...
My customer could not envisage anything more than a few tiny fingerbowls....he couldn't see how the blanks could yield anything bigger.
....I can just see a hole in the back of the right hand one, too big and too round to be anything but the hand of man, I think I'd like to have seen it face on, just for the interest.
...there are a few holes in them, they are from oak pegs. Regretfully, I don't have any photos of them, and it's now too late to get one for you.
Les

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 08:19:34 AM »
I fail to understand why you would leave tool marks on the inside.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 12:02:26 PM »
I fail to understand why you would leave tool marks on the inside.

Regards George
A very fair question, George....the customer specifically asked for lots of evidence of the hand of the people who had worked with the wood. It had been in the family farm for over 300 years and looks like it had undergone a few changes of use, mainly due to there being oak pegs in places where there weren't joints to peg together. After roughing out the shapes we had an quick inspection and chat about what would happen next. There were plenty of adze marks that we wanted to keep, so sanding and oiling the outside served to highlight them, but he wanted me to do as little as possible to the inside.
The way of life of rural families and their farms in Snowdonia has altered out of all recognition in the last generation, and he wanted these pots to be a record of some of the people who have worked for his family over the centuries....does that sound a bit sentimental? If it does, he makes no apologies for it. It's exactly what he wanted.

Les

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »
Yeah right  :D :D :D

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 03:34:19 PM »
Yeah right  :D :D :D

I don't know, George. For a guy with such a big heart you can be quite the old-cynic at times. ;)
Les

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 05:27:12 PM »
Who me ;D ;D ;D