Author Topic: Emerald Fire  (Read 2423 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Emerald Fire
« on: March 24, 2016, 07:05:35 PM »
This is a piece of Leylandii, which didn't want to stretch to cover all of the shape, so I had to leave a big hole in it. Damn!
Chestnut spirit stains and acrylic lacquer. The lid is leadwood and curly sycamore with a bit of wax. I am not entirely sure about the lid, may have to do something with a twist in it, but let's hear what you guys have to say. The whole thing is about 7" diameter and 5" high (with lid).
As you can probably imagine, sanding the inside was quite a job, and I did not manage to remove all the tear-out completely. I tried everything, newly sharpened scraper, different tips, it just would not cut cleanly. I still quite like the overall appearance, though.
All C&C welcome.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Emerald Fire
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 07:52:04 PM »

Not sure about the strong colour Fuzzy .......but really like  the Dolphin.. :)
     Kind Regards
     Di & Tony

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:53:39 PM »
Fuzzy, I do like it and and the colour, though it probably needs a much higher polish to really fit the 'Fire' in the title.

I had to go back and read that it was Leylandii a second time as upon viewing I though it was Yew.

Love the dolphin as well, great reveal.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 09:07:40 PM »
Fuzzy...having felled a row of mature leylandii from our garden, I've turned loads of it (and burnt a lot more), but never stained it. I imagine that resinous timbers like this can be difficult to get an even finish on with stains, yet you have managed. I'm with Di & Tony regarding the colour.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 04:46:52 PM »
looks good to me including the colour,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »
I with Bryan I think that a higher gloss finish would have really given it that little extra but other than that I like everything about it :)

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 11:37:24 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback. I can always add some more lacquer, that should solve the gloss finish issue.
Leylandii is not the easiest to get a good finish on, that is true, it does need a lot of sanding. The rewarding bit are all the little knots in it, which make for very swirly grain patterns, and that's where the colour really comes into play. When you folks talk about a "dolphin", I have to presume you are referring to the natural edge opening in the side?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »
Fuzzy,

Nope, the dolphin is shown in this image.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!