Author Topic: sycamore bowl  (Read 2119 times)

Offline wider

• gold
sycamore bowl
« on: March 26, 2016, 12:33:52 AM »
sycamore bowl 12x2" finished with butchers block oil. all comments welcome.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: sycamore bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 06:32:01 PM »
I don't know if it's the way you've turned it or the way you've photographed it, but it certainly looks thicker than the 2" you say it is.

The only critique I can give is the raising top leading to the raised rim around the bowl gives it a slightly UFO shape about it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 07:22:46 PM »
A couple of issues....
1) the general finish looks ok, but there's clearly a few tool marks/scratches visible in the first picture, at a bout 9 o'clock
2) I'm really not comfortable with that neck/rim. I feel that a clean-lined bowl like this needs to flow from the rim down into the bowl, with just a sharp edge to delineate the change of direction.
3) It might have been wise to turn away the pith....there's always a stronger possibility of a piece splitting when the pith is left in place.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 09:08:24 PM »
thank you for your comments. it must be the way the photo is Les as I have had another look at the bowl and I cannot see any tool marks as I had power sanded to 600 grit. I know that I had a pit of trouble when reversing it to take the chucking point of it and had rub marks from the pressure pad I use as I don't have a vacuumed chuck and had to hand sand it to get the marks out.
dennis

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 09:33:37 PM »
Close your eyes and run your finger gently over the rim and you will probably feel them. A trick i learned from a blind turner. Tool marks have a habit of showing in certain lights,usually when other turners are looking (DAMHIK) I speak as an expert on leaving tool marks in pieces LOL.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 06:47:23 AM »
Dennis

I quite like thick and chunky and a piece like this might not win a turning competition, but I could see someone picking it up to buy.

The top picture certainly looks like tooling marks, my tip would be to get a pair of 3.5 magnification specs and check the work using these if you can't see a mark with them on then no one will spot anything.

I picked this up on a course with Stuart Mortimer and it works for me  :)

Ed

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 08:12:50 AM »
strange how tool / sanding marks show on pictures - i last week turned an apple vase - it looked great untill i took a picture to show you guys then it looked awfull so wouldnt post it - i think i also need to learn about finishes - lovely bit of wood - hope the pith doesnt split as i do like to see it left on the bowl.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?