Author Topic: Quercus cerris...  (Read 1628 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Quercus cerris...
« on: April 09, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »
Turkey oak - the tree's at the end of our drive and gets a free trim every few years by Western Power.  This is half a crotch - one 'arm' of the crotch was taken off several years ago and the rot has got in, but not too much.  Having said that, it's about 2" smaller in the diameter than it would have been due to a badly rotted patch.  It's ended up about 10" diameter x 3" tall. C&C welcome.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Quercus cerris...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
I've always liked the dramatic medullary rays of Turkey (Evergreen) Oak, it's a shame it wants to split so easily although you have managed to almost avoid that here.

The heart wood and 'rot' makes this piece although I'm not sold on the step in rim.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 01:54:43 AM »
erm, bryan, quercus cerris is not an evergreen tree.

are you thinking of holm oak mate?, quercus ilex. that species has the more dramatic rays than most other oaks.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 07:50:42 AM »
Steve,

I consider myself educated, I always thought the Evergreen Oak was the same as the Turkey Oak, and so named because it originates in the near east e.g. the far end of the Med.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »
beautiful bowl Chris,love the figuring,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 10:49:25 AM »
Thanks guys, glad you like it.  Got the other half to do now, trying to come up with a different profile that works around the bad rot (only a small area but deep and unrecoverable). 

I'm really liking the feel of this wood as it dries, it gets very tactile - remaining pretty smooth but with real texture where the grain opens and where some parts dry faster and shrink more.  A very interesting exploration for the hands.

Bryan - I don't usually do the step on the rim when the rim is this (relatively) thin, but I do quite like it myself.  Appreciate it won't be to everyone's taste though.