Author Topic: Pierced beech bowl  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
Pierced beech bowl
« on: April 17, 2016, 12:59:41 PM »
Hi all, this is my first post as I am new to the forum.  A short introduction - I've been turning for quite a while and have been posting to social media for the last couple of years,so some may have already seen my work.  I am a hobbyist turner and now, after taking early retirement, I'm able to enjoy my hobby most days.  I am looking forward to being an active member of the forum and here's my latest turning.  9 x 2.5in pierced beech bowl.  The rim is around 3mm thick and finished with shellac and wax. 

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Pierced beech bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »
Hi Tony

The piercings need cleaning up in my opinion piercings only work if they are crisp and clean

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 02:36:33 PM »
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum, it's always good to see new faces and new work.  Looks like a really clean and unmarked piece of beech - the sort of piece that needs something extra, like your piercing, to give it some life.  Overall I like it, though I'm not a fan of rebates left on the bottom as they tend to make it look heavy and, for me, unfinished.  Looks like a terrific finish you've got there and whilst the piercing could perhaps be a little cleaner it does work for me.

It's not clear from the photo, but it looks like the colour on the bead by the rim might have bled a bit - or is that just shadow?

Hope to see more of your work soon.

Chris

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:19:16 PM »
If you hold the piece with a rebate then make a feature of it. Put a little rim making it into a foot, texture it inside etc. Make a feature of it. Left as on this piece it looks unfinished and as you have done a great job with the rest of it, it's a shame to spoil the ship for a h'apporth of tar as my nan used to say.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline dubturner

• copper
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 08:45:23 PM »
Welcome. Looks good- I like it as it is.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
Tony,

Firstly welcome to the forum, we hope this is the first of many postings.

Firstly I'll say how much work you've put into this, the overall finished work is very good but looking at the piercing, there are a couple of things that would make it just that little bit more special.

Define the area of the piercings, a groove either side of the pierced area would do this. There are also a couple that are nearer the centre than the others, they pull at the eye as being out of line. A groove would stop this.
The piercings are very blobby or holes and the space between them is a little too much. Random, drawn out irregular shapes interwoven with each other work best.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!