Author Topic: Hobo Fishing Reel  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Hobo Fishing Reel
« on: April 18, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »
I have been lacking motivation recently  :'( and have had a few weeks out of the workshop, however I spied a little project to get me back making shavings, a Hobo fishing reel. A simple but fun project but can anyone recommend where or how to get a threaded insert to allow me to unscrew the handle from the reel itself, thus giving a large storage area in the handle for hooks, weights lures and the like?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Hobo Fishing Reel
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 01:41:32 PM »
Better picture of the insert required.

S.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »
Why not make a thread yourself? Is there a reason it has to be metal?

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:32:47 PM »
Yes I am cr&p at thread chasing and it will also limit the woods I can use which would be suitable for chasing, thought brass would be salt water resistant if dropped in the briny to....

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »
We had a demo this Sunday by Simon Hope, where he showed that with the help of superglue you can get a decent thread out of just about any decent wood. Clearly demonstrated this by using ash, sycamore and yew. Alternatively, the threaded bits could be inserts of boxwood or some tropical hardwood (apparently African Blackwood and Padauk are very suitable), thus keeping the cost down.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 04:11:07 PM »
Or modify a plumbers brass compression fitting, it will probably do the job. I have used corian in the past, that cuts threads well and is quite cheap. I got some free samples from my local kitchen shop they're 100mm square and 12mm thick so plenty of scope for threads (they make good pens too).
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 05:34:34 PM »
Your choice of wood for the main project doesn't have to be restricted to those that will take a good thread. You could turn threaded inserts out of a wood that was good for threading and glue them in to your handle. Or just make them from brass. That can be turned with woodturning tools quite easily.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »
Clever, I've seen similar as Canoeist Hand reels, but I've not noticed, or if they had, an internal section to hold everything needed.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!