Author Topic: burr oak square bowl  (Read 1714 times)

Offline wider

• gold
burr oak square bowl
« on: April 18, 2016, 11:53:52 PM »
I was given this timber from a friend and thought that it was just a bit of oak. when cutting in to it found that it was a burr. all comments welcome.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: burr oak square bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:29:45 AM »
I don't see much wrong with your tooling or finishing, but I personally find the shape rather unappealing. I think the bowl is too deep and the sides are too straight, and there's no defined foot. Sorry, not really my thing.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »
Looking at this I can''t help thinking that with the skill you are showing in your turning the next step is to sort out your designing. Turning pieces like this with the square is not easy and you have shown you can do it but it would be so much better if the bowl were less dog bowl like and the rim were thinner. You can obviously do a lot better if you get yiur designing sorted.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 10:49:10 AM »
I'd go along with what's already been said, and add that the the edges of the rim could have done with a bit of work. In the third picture down, it can clearly be seen that the finish on the bowl is far better than the finish on the board. Get the board much thinner, and it becomes so much easier to clean up the edges to the same standard of finish as the bowl!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 02:09:20 PM »
thank you for your comments and I will remember what has been told. I was going to put a foot on it but was thinking that it may be to small in size and not be able to balance so decided to remove it.as for the edges I wanted to leave them as rustic as it came but point taken on this.
dennis

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
I'll stand to be corrected but I think it's Brown Oak Burr.

If anything you've made a classic mistake, you've tried to turn the biggest thing you could from the piece of timber you had. This is what has caused the bowl form the become a little oversized which has lead to a slightly poorly shaped piece overall.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!