Author Topic: Graduated backgrounds for photography  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Graduated backgrounds for photography
« on: April 28, 2016, 08:29:36 AM »
Does anyone know a UK supplier of graduated backgrounds in sizes suited to our type of photography? I found one supplier, but they now say that their smaller sizes are no longer available and I've found zillions of USA-based suppliers, but shipping/tax/duty payments make the cost prohibitive.
What I really want is a black-to-white, or grey-to-white graduation of about 1.5 x 0.75 metres....but size isn't critical.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Graduated backgrounds for photography
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »
Loads on Ebay

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 08:57:12 AM »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 08:58:25 AM »
Loads on Ebay

Regards George
Thanks George...yeah...I checked ebay this morning, but most of the UK based suppliers were selling 1.5 x 2.0 meter sheets and the trouble with sheets that big, is that much less of the graduation is visible in the shot of smaller items, such as we tend to photograph. I did find one UK based seller with a more sensible size, but he wants £73.95. I had formerly found a UK seller of 1.0 x 0.75 graduated sheets for about £25, but his supply has run out and he can't get any more.

Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »

Graded background

Thanks, Mark....that looks promising, although I also used your term of 'graded' instead of 'graduated' on ebay, and it turned up a few more suppliers which look promising.

Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 09:06:02 AM »
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/colorama/100x170cm-white-black-colorgrad-background-90606/show.html
Many thanks, Chris....can you believe that I phoned Jessops to talk about cameras and mentioned these to him....the guy I spoke to said that they didn't sell graduated backgrounds! Having just looked at their web-site, I see that they have quite a range.

Les

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 09:45:24 AM »
Use technology Les, a plain background that can be made transparent then you can add any background you like to enhance the piece. A lot cheaper too as one paper background will not fit all.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian