Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
Help needed
« on: May 16, 2016, 08:16:28 PM »
Hello all.  I have an Axminster 1416VS wood lathe and have a problem with the tail stock.  I have somehow managed to get the adjustable spindle stuck in the quill.  Does anyone know if it's just a taper that pushes the quill out?  And what's the best way of freeing it?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Regards, Tony

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 08:26:26 PM »

Hi Tony,
              I have the same lathe if I understand your problem correctly when you wind the tail stock spindle back into the casting/housing it should free the Quill which I assume you could mean a revolving centre.?
                                                                                                                    Regards John 
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:57:20 PM »
It depends on the revolving centre you should have bar with a knob on it use that to drive it out through the hollow tailstock

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »

Hi George,
                    Mine frees it self as I wind it back I know you have these lathes do you always use the knock out bar. ???

Regards John

John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:07:11 PM »
Not all revolving centres will self eject John sometimes you have to use the knock out bar.

Regards George

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 09:16:08 PM »
there is no revolving centre in it I can not turn the adjusting wheel as it's jammed in the quill ( if that makes sense )

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 09:19:13 PM »
If you have wound the quill all the way in, you might just need a bit more force to free the thread. If it's got stuck at any other point, perhaps you need to extract the whole assembly to separate the parts, clean up an burrs etc. and apply a bit of grease before reassembling.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 09:21:38 PM »
Yes it does what you have probably undone the locking handle too far and the quill has jammed .Have a look at the slot on the quill it should line up with the locking handle if not undo the handle completely and revolve the quill until is  in line. You might have to be quite firm with it

Regards George

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 09:49:38 PM »
these two photos may show the problem better the second photo shows how far i can now put the centre in the quill

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 11:15:44 PM »
You have lost me

Regards George

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 11:21:58 PM »
I think what happened here is that he wound the quill so far back that now it won't go forward again. This then results in a situation where none of the morse tapered centres will hold, because the ejection pin is holding them all out. In theory this should never happen, but if it does happen quite some force will be needed to push the quill forward. If the lock-up is bad enough this can have bad consequences for the handle or the pin or thread holding the handle on the quill.
Tony: you can try and force the quill forward with a small leverage on the handle on the wheel. Since your hand wheel is solid, this won't be easy, you may have to mount the whole lot back into the tailstock and see what leverage you can apply. If you do manage to force it out, I would recommend total dismantling and checking for damage.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 11:23:39 PM »
Or pop it into your local Axminster

Regards George

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 12:28:44 PM »
Thank you aii for your support and help with the tailstock - I have managed to free it and is now working as normal - it looks like a small sliver of plastic found it's way between the threads causing it to lock up. Luckly with no damage to the threads.

Once again Thanks for all the input.
Regards, Tony.