Author Topic: Rescued from the junk box  (Read 1518 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Rescued from the junk box
« on: May 23, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »
Ok who is going to say they should have been left there LOL. Three pieces from the junk box renovated: Oak vase 140mm x 120mm with big split filled with brass and stained to look old, yew vase with lid. 320mm tall. knot hole filled with powdered glass sitting on a marble base with ebonised disc to raise it a couple of mm, Yew vase 200mm x 150mm

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Rescued from the junk box
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 08:27:54 PM »
Pete,

the aged effect on the Oak vase works, I honestly thought you'd hollowed an old round fence post at first.

The tall yew vase I like, the small foot to lift it away from the base could be smaller to hide it better, make it more of a floating effect. Not sure about the lid/finial, it's a bit strong with the sharp angles and heavy looking top part.

The last yew pot is a bit formless, the long straight sides make it look like a pencil pot, I know you said it's rescued from the firewood pile, so had no option of what you got, but this shape would work with a strongly coloured piece of yew, where the grain effect is the main feature.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Rescued from the junk box
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:27:31 PM »

Like the chunky look of the first one Pete..... goes very well with the aged look..After viewing the last piece think it would

look better without the foot, a bit like the first one.. Very Sorry Pete , but feel the middle piece would be better

without the plinth/base, for us  it seems a tad too tall to sit on a base/plinth.
    Kind Regards
    Tony & Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/