Author Topic: Beech vase  (Read 2731 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Beech vase
« on: May 24, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »
I had 9 spalted beech blanks from Steve Earis a while ago, all about 14" tall and 4" diameter. They will probably all be turned into vases, sharing the same basic shape and then using a variety of decorations on them (variations on a theme so to speak).
Here's the first one that I've finished: red/orange textile dye, satin acrylic lacquer, matt black spray paint and some gold buff-it.
The inside is left in its natural state, and only sealed, to show the spalting (although there isn't all that much on this one, just some discoloration).
As usual, all C&C welcome.

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
Re: Beech vase
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »
Hi Fuzzy, yes I like this one, plain but elegant at the same time. Nice colouring and the decorative band gets your attention but is not over powering enough to distract you from the overall effect.

Nicely done.

Best Regards

Gary

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:23:34 PM »
I had 9 spalted beech blanks from Steve Earis a while ago, all about 14" tall and 4" diameter. They will probably all be turned into vases, sharing the same basic shape and then using a variety of decorations on them (variations on a theme so to speak).
Here's the first one that I've finished: red/orange textile dye, satin acrylic lacquer, matt black spray paint and some gold buff-it.
The inside is left in its natural state, and only sealed, to show the spalting (although there isn't all that much on this one, just some discoloration).
As usual, all C&C welcome.

they were over 5" diameter...

glad to see that the plainer one still gets nicely used.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 08:17:11 PM »
Fuzzy, the decorated band is not overly fussy and works well.

First of 9 blanks, could be a series with a common theme, post the rest as you turn them please.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Yes, it will be a series. I have a few ideas about different colouring, texturing and other decorations. I'll probably make into an evolutionary sequence, starting with a plain shape and undecorated surface, right through to one where the original shape is hardly recognizable. It's going to be quite a journey!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 11:23:41 AM »
I like the simplicity of the shape and the fact that the decorative band is not too prominent. I also like the curve at the base which makes it look as the the curve follows right through in your photo.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 11:38:44 AM »
The curve does go all the way around, and the actual base the vase stands on is less than 2" diameter. Makes it a bit shaky, so this really is a display piece only (unless any dried flowers or grasses are very evenly distributed. I left quite a bit of material in the base (the bottom of the inside is about 2" above the foot), but it certainly has not got a lot of stability.

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 01:25:10 AM »
I believevthat many insights can be learned just turning up side down a piece in this case a vase. A perfect 30-30 rifle bullet.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 07:21:57 AM »
Nice work Fuzzy

Like the shape and the band looks great.

All the best

Ed