Author Topic: latest turnings  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
latest turnings
« on: May 18, 2016, 02:50:12 AM »
Here are coupleof turnings i have done lately.
The first is a pine bowl/hollow form about 7 x 5 inches
The second  a vase made of black walnut 15 inch high hollowed to 12 inch and with a wall of 3/8 inch.
The foot of this vase have been redone three times since I could not get satisfied with it but this final version pleases me.
I show a version of the foot on the third photo.
Any C and C is welcomed.
Thanks.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: latest turnings
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:21:33 AM »
I am not surprised you had three attempts at the foot. To my eye the vase would look perfectly fine without any foot at all, and even what you have now is still distracting from the nice shape on top. Sometimes less is more.

I do like the grain on the pine hollow form. I think the foot is a little too prominent. If it was just high enough to lift the hollow form off the surface, that would probably look better.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 12:28:47 PM »
Hi Sevilla....I like the overall shape of the pine HF, but agree with Fuzzy that it would be better if the foot were less high, so as not to detract from the curve of the body.
When I clicked on, and enlarged the first picture of the vase, I started scrolling down until I could see it without its foot in view and I think that it looked better than when I eventually got the whole vase on screen....definitely better without the foot.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 01:12:13 AM »
Thanks for the comments,muchappreciated.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 07:55:42 PM »
Sevilla,

Not 100% sure on the pine bowl, the angle of the photograph might have something to do with that though.

The vase on the foot works for me. I can see what the others are saying, but it's too tall and thin for the base diameter, it would be unstable, a slight vibration or breeze and 'Ooop's' over it goes.

The foot (either) has enough interest to act as a counterpoise to the curves of the vase and gives it even more height and with that (and the thinness) more elegance.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 09:21:14 AM »
Why have you put a quote up and no comment that makes no sense

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline philstevenson

• copper
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »
Why have you put a quote up and no comment that makes no sense
Read again carefully. Sevilla's response is inside the highlighted blue box; he has inadvertently put his comments within the quote marks.

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »
Definitly I made a mistake with writing in the quote but yesterday it was so difficult to write, at least with my ipad. There was even another thead mixed with mine, and erasing was at times impossible and that is way i got stck  with many mistakes. I apologize.
I will try to post my comment correctly.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 11:11:03 AM by Sevilla »

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 11:09:32 AM »
Sevilla,

Not 100% sure on the pine bowl, the angle of the photograph might have something to do with that though.

The vase on the foot works for me. I can see what the others are saying, but it's too tall and thin for the base diameter, it would be unstable, a slight vibration or breeze and 'Ooop's' over it goes.

The foot (either) has enough interest to act as a counterpoise to the curves of the vase and gives it even more height and with that (and the thinness) more elegance.

Thank you for your comment.
Indeed i have the same feeling about the walnut vase. The base is so different with those beeds from the smooth vase that i feel it hi-light the simple vase shape. There cannot be confusion between the two profiles althoug both are classic in my view.
The pine really looks not so good  but that it the only picture i have.
I sayd this not to praise my turnings but for the sake of discussion.
I know that now soap bubbles and urn like shapes are in faschion but i do only utilitarian turnings and my vases are supposed to hold my turned flowes or dried flowers and need stability.
Besides, a vase without a foot may become something else.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 07:26:02 AM »
Hi Sevilla

I like the foot idea on the vases I think that they add to the pieces, I agree with the other comments about the foot needing to be lower on the hollow form.

Nice work

All the best

Ed