General Category > General Discussion

Height of Banjo/Toolrest asembly....

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dave Atkinson:
I agree with Paul and Phil - and there shouldn't be a problem on teh record lathe.

I know it sounds obvious but have you checked the toolpost locking handle is fully unscrewed?

Cheers Dave

BrianH:
Yes you need to cut at or above centre when using a gouge or skew but you also need to go BELOW centre when using a scraper so that the timber is moving away from the tool at the point of cut.
I know nothing of your lathe but if you are anywhere near the Norfolk coast send me a PM and I will try to help.
All the best
Brian

woodndesign:
Hi NT and welcome to the forum and woodturning,

Sorry to hear you have problems,  you have a replacement rest, how much, if any is it different to the original, other than being shorter, a rest should be adjustable that it drops down to it's underside and lifts that the screw will not engage, if the shorter one went lower, the fault maybe in the banjo and the through bore, could it have a burr at the bottom, even the slightest stopping the post from dropping all the way down, it can be known with castings or machining at time as I've found before, even with the chinese and friday night...   ;D ..

Hope for everones help you're sorted. Happy turning.

David

Philip Greenwood:
Hi

I still cut on centre height even with a scraper. The tool rest needs to be ajusted so the top of the tip of the scraper is on centre height. A scraper should be used in a trailing mode ie the end of the end of the handle higher then the tip of the tool, this let the tool cut on centre height. Cutting below is not to be recomended for a learner.

Philip

admalin:
Our club has 2 of these lathes.
Last year we changed to the latest (more positive mechanism) banjo, which was thicker (higher) than the original
It came with a tool rest which was at centre height.
We got replacements. I'll check the dimensions at Wednesday night's club meeting.

Incidentally I think the convention regarding length of a tool rest is the horizontal dimension.

Tony Malin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version