Author Topic: Absolute Beginner  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Grasbylee

• iron
Absolute Beginner
« on: June 09, 2016, 06:44:21 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have just registered on the forum and I'm looking for some advice for a complete (but enthusiastic) novice based on the border of Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire in a small village somewhere between Scunthorpe, Grimsby and Lincoln. I work 4 days a week, have a very busy wife and two kids who are getting to the age where I'm not that interesting all the time, so I finally have the chance to try this - I've only been thinking about it for about 10 years!!!!

I have started getting my gear together after reading your forums and many, many woodworking/woodturning magazines to get an idea of where to start. Also I've been hitting Youtube hard to see the different techniques, lathes and tools from around the world.

I am in the process of getting my first lathe, grinder and tools and from discussions on here the equipment should be ok for my novice status. The only thing I am struggling with is somewhere to go (within reasonable driving distance) to be taught the basics and may be even beyond that if I catch the bug - any help on who or where I could find out this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to getting involved in the discussion on here once I have actually had a go!

Cheers
Lee

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Absolute Beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 08:13:11 PM »
Hi Lee...and welcome to the world of wood turning.

All over the UK there are wood-turning clubs, some are affiliated to the AWGB, some are just associated with them, and then there are those that have no direct connection with the AWGB at all. In your area it looks as though the best club for you is the North Lincs Woodturners Association at Scunthorpe. I would heartily recommend that you contact them and arrange to attend their meetings...the email address is bvwalker45@yahoo.co.uk.

Just a word about youtube....there are some excellent examples of instructional videos on there, from which you can learn, but there is also a lot of rubbish, some of which demonstrates dangerous techniques.....your difficulty at this stage will be determining the difference between the wheat and the chaff. Speak to the guys at NLWA and see if they can recommend a local professional from whom you can get some 1:1 training; there really is nothing better.

Best of luck...Les

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 08:28:33 PM »
Tuition Tuition Tuition

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Grasbylee

• iron
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:08:50 PM »
Thanks Les,

I see their next meeting is this Monday so I will drop Barry an email and probably pop along and see what its all about. I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers
Lee

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 11:08:03 PM »
Firstly, hello and a very warm welcome. Secondly, both Les and George are spot on right: join a local club and get some tuition, ideally from a registered professional with a tutoring certification.
This forum is a place where much experience and knowledge is shared. However, it comes at a price: you do get critiqued on your pieces (if you invite comments), and it's not always what you want to hear (don't ask how I know that). OTOH, if you are open to input, there is much to be gained from it.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 08:22:59 AM »
Hi Lee

Welcome to the forum and woodturning.  If you check out the AWGB website you will find a list of clubs and members who offer tuition.  Additionally, by joining the AWGB you will gain access to the Members' Development activities where we run free turning courses for turners of all abilities.   There are many othe website has all the information.

And as others have said beware of youtube - there are some dangerous practices shown.

Stay safe and enjoy your turning.

Dave

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 09:17:58 PM »
Lee any H&S questions you may have feel free to PM me.
John (the AWGB H&S man)Person thingy.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 08:38:57 AM »
Hi Lee

Welcome to the AWGB forum it's always good to see new members.

Follow the advice that been given here and you will get of to a good start.

If you are looking for someone who can teach woodturning then it's also worth taking a look at the Register of Professional Turners (RPT) site http://registerofprofessionalturners.co.uk/

All the best

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 06:58:21 PM »
Lee,

a big welcome from me as well.

A simple word of warning, after 10 years of thinking about it, you be instantly addicted.

As Fuzzy said, we will help you learn and improve in any way we can. I'll also reinforce the idea of joining a club. I turned for nearly 10 years before I even discovered they existed, it was only then I started to learn.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!