Author Topic: Baby's Rattle  (Read 2145 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Baby's Rattle
« on: June 10, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »
There are various comments out there about sizes and safety.  It is widely said that all parts need to be greater than 42mm diameter (presumably so that they cannot get between the baby's jaws) though the current US regulations seem to say 32mm:-

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=64b22586d47f20e7468274a7b8c52707&node=16:2.0.1.3.80&rgn=div5

And there seems some exemption for rattles anyway.  All the same this seems to exclude handles in the usual sense so I have come up with the captive ring design below for a nephew's baby.  The ends and captive rings are 42mm diameter. The intention is that the rod between the ball ends is OK as a 'handle'.  The wood is sycamore and the finish is 'hard waxoil' which meets the European standard for kids toys, as do most waxoils (red the fine print on the tin) and is my standard finish anyway.  My daughter pyroed the baby's initial on each end. Hope this helps!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Baby's Rattle
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:16:15 PM »
There is a set dimension for kids toys (rattles being classed as such) that all toys have to adhere to. It an EU standard and somewhere on the internet there is a patter"hole" through whichno item should be able to pass through and get stuck in a child's windpipe. One wonders if on the 24 June when we come out of Europe we can revert back to the (usually ) higher British Standard?

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 07:48:08 AM »
I guess as kids are all the same the US standard I reference (which looks just as you suggest) will do!

FWIW I imagine that all EU standards would just be translated in UK law as anything else would be chaos!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 11:29:45 PM »
Have a look at this

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
the rattles I make are normaly around 45mm in size for rings and captive parts but with a short handle on one end,I don`t tend to put any finnish one these items as I feel that`s the safest option personally,and I make the rings at least 10 mm thick just in case of snappages,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world