Author Topic: Painting / Colouring a platter  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Painting / Colouring a platter
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 09:42:14 PM »
Derek,

thanks, I thought they might be poster paint, the stuff children have, never found they worked very well on wood, neither coloured wax crayons, tried both.

Never thought of dry artist pigment, are you an artist or have an interest in in Art/painting?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 10:11:31 PM »
Derek,

thanks, I thought they might be poster paint, the stuff children have, never found they worked very well on wood, neither coloured wax crayons, tried both.

Never thought of dry artist pigment, are you an artist or have an interest in in Art/painting?

Definitely no artist I wanted to try oil paints as a medium and was looking on my local freecycle in case any one was getting rid of any wood/trees and saw someone giving some paints away when I got home and opened the box everything you see in that photo was in there so was well pleased now to experiment

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 09:14:33 AM »
Hi Stuart
I'm no expert.....who is?..... but you are welcome to have a poke around in my colouring thought/toy box here in Caister if it helps.
All the best
Brian Hollett

Offline DDB

• iron
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 03:26:43 PM »
Just go for it, most of my work is coloured and or textured, the beauty is, you can normally take a fine cut or sand the bits you don't like and start again. Airbrush works well if you want to carefully blend colours, an artists mouth diffuser works well but not as accurate for fine blending, if you want to keep colours seperate and defined, then a burnt line made either with piece of Formica with the lathe spinning or pyrography machine if pattern is random.
Found birch ply a good base to start playing with colours and textures, and shows how good or bad colours are blending as the the ply is pale, when working on darker woods you are a bit more limited with what product/colours will show up. All trial and error tbh.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:36:54 PM by DDB »