Author Topic: The microphone box  (Read 2934 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
The microphone box
« on: June 22, 2016, 11:20:56 PM »
A short while ago I managed to get hold of well over 30 blanks of different sizes, mostly tropical hardwoods from an elderly couple who had them in a shed for close to 30 years and finally decided to sell some stuff. In amongst the lot was a small piece of tambuti, which I made into this box. The stand is african blackwood, and the pin is phosphor bronze (brass seemed a little too brash for this). The box itself is just under 2" diameter and about 4" long.
The stand was shaped such that if you shine a light directly above the box, slightly to the front, then it is the exact shape of the shadow thrown by the box.

Clearly this won't be to everyone's taste, but nonetheless all C&C welcome.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: The microphone box
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 07:57:15 AM »
I keep looking at this and am trying to find something positive to say about it but I cant it just doesn't do anything for me
Sorry for being negative

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:02:54 AM »
That's OK, George. I didn't think it would appeal to you.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:06:56 AM »
I would be interested to know why you thought it would not appeal to me

Regards George

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 08:49:36 PM »
Fuzzy,

certainly a new way of envisaging a box, a very clever interpretation.

I think the cap should have been bigger and darker like the bulbous wind-cover you get in Microphones to look more like the description but that's the advantage you get when looking at something after someone else had put in the original thought and hard work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 03:52:47 PM »

Regards George
Apologies for the delay in answering, I was away at the Henley crafts fair, and I hate writing on my phone (look for Pete's posts and you know why).
So here's why I didn't think this box would appeal to you:
1) I haven't seen any boxes made by you, which makes me think that the subject of boxes overall is not really your thing.
2) It has no decoration at all, no texture, no colour. It's pure shape. Very minimalist, very "Bauhaus" and again, I don't think that's your thing.

Overall, I'd say this sort of thing is simply not in the line of work you do. I am not saying you couldn't do it, because I know you could. But I don't think you would, given a choice.

I'd be happy to stand corrected.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 05:22:02 PM »
Having seen the 'back room' at Georges I suspect that there isn't much he hasn't tried over the years. One thing I find is that we tend to judge others by the work we see on here and don't realise the full extent of the skill, interest etc of one another. Having now seen a wider display of your work Fuzzy the same applies to you, a much wider variety of styles and design than is assumed by what we have seen of your work on here.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 05:44:52 PM »

Regards George
Apologies for the delay in answering, I was away at the Henley crafts fair, and I hate writing on my phone (look for Pete's posts and you know why).
So here's why I didn't think this box would appeal to you:
1) I haven't seen any boxes made by you, which makes me think that the subject of boxes overall is not really your thing.
2) It has no decoration at all, no texture, no colour. It's pure shape. Very minimalist, very "Bauhaus" and again, I don't think that's your thing.

Overall, I'd say this sort of thing is simply not in the line of work you do. I am not saying you couldn't do it, because I know you could. But I don't think you would, given a choice.

I'd be happy to stand corrected.

As you say Box's are not really my thing which probably means I am a bit tunnel visioned. The box looks well made and well finished
I think if the box had been upright as a box I would have liked it.I don't see the point in making a box look like a microphone .
Sometimes I think you are a bit like Pete don't know when to stop adding things you have a nice box a nice base joined by a bit of brass three different elements that for me don't go together.
(sorry Pete)
I feel that sometimes you and Pete over complicate things.
That is just me so please don't be offended as I am probably wrong.
I think for the time you have been doing it you have come a long way but it would be nice to see you do some pure simple forms if that makes any sense.

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »
No need for apologies George. At the end of the day we al have different deas of what works and what doesn't and I agree that there are times when I do that one thing too many. One reason why I don't permanently fix things together at first. Personally I am not a huge fan of coloured work as you know but a lot of people are and it sells. At the end of the day we hoipefully all make what we like as well as just making it for sale and if any of us think we get it right every time we are fooling ourselves.

Pete

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 07:25:22 PM »
There is no point in making a box like a microphone. That in itself is the point. It's a bit like one of your yew bowls with huge gaping holes in them. There's no point to that either.
Yes, it's possible that Pete and I sometimes overdo it. But apart from the fact that I like loads of colour and he doesn't, we also share the desire to try out new things and to play around.

I am grateful for your compliment on my development, it's not often that you are complimentary and I appreciate that very much. I still have a long way to go to get where I would like to be, and I'll get there one step at a time. In the meanwhile I see whether I can find a pure simple form.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »
[quote author=fuzzyturns
I am grateful for your compliment on my development, it's not often that you are complimentary and I appreciate that very much. I still have a long way to go to get where I would like to be, and I'll get there one step at a time. In the meanwhile I see whether I can find a pure simple form.
[/quote]

I do think that turning pure simple forms as the work of Bert Marsh or Ray Key is a lot harder than the work you or I do.
You are right I do not compliment very often that is because I am plain speaking and don't bullshit .I think if turners including myself put work up here and ask for C & C then that is what they should get. I would like to bet that when you put work up here you think I had better get it right or that so and so George will find fault with it. That can only help to make you better.
I get the same thing with my work I have Mark Sanger and my Brother Chris who are both probably better turners than me picking holes in my work when they visit it just makes me try harder.

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 08:15:58 PM »
I agree that simple shapes and designs are far more difficult. Any defects or bad design shows up. Any turner worth his salt will be ready to accept genuine critique, not always like it but accept as all those 'oooh how lovely ' comments you get on some parts of social media don't help one bit. I do feel that experimenting and trying out different ideas is also valid though and can work out. This weekend I did a show at Henlwy and several pieces that were obviously not to peoples taste on the forums sold, first time out. One lesson i have also learned is that non turners see things differently, turners perhaps look for the quality of turning, the finish etc whereas non turners perhaps look at the whole and either it clicks or it doesn't. Ask ten people what they think of the work we do and chances are you'll get ten different answers.
Pete