Author Topic: Chainsaw mill.  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Chainsaw mill.
« on: July 15, 2016, 07:31:23 PM »
Got myself a small chainsaw mill to convert timber to blank. With the current bar and chain allows up to 16" log to be turned into boards. Anyone else using one?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Chainsaw mill.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 09:20:53 AM »
There's a coincidence. I've just bought one and fevered it only yesterday. Will be giving it a try next week, weather permitting. Malcolm.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 01:16:54 PM »
What size chainsaw bar do you need for the 16" cut? I guess it's going to be 24" ?

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 08:04:30 PM »
I have had an Alaskan Mill for 12 years and use a Stihl with a 36" blade. The widest plank I cut is 29". You lose a bit either end of the blade for the gripper teeth and the bearing on the end of the blade. It cost me over £1000 when I bought it, and it paid for itself with the first tree I converted, an Oak with a diameter of 48" which yielded over 90 cubic ft of lumber. With Oak at any price between £25-£50 a cubic ft seasoned it has certainly been a good investment. It's bl**#y hard work though. I also have a kiln which dries about 30 cu ft at a time. Well worth while.
Roger G

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 11:32:48 PM »
Running a 20" bar to get the 16" cut. It's a copy of the Alaskan mill which at less than £70 was a bargain, will take up to a 30" bar or so.
As stated earlier hard grubby work but very satisfying when you open the log and see what you have inside. Converted a load of logs today and produced over 40 blanks 10 to 16 inch diameter and 3" thick. Paid for itself already.
Hats off to the guys who do it for a living as I ache all over.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads