Author Topic: Walnut Bowl  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Walnut Bowl
« on: September 15, 2016, 08:30:09 PM »
Had a rummage through my wood blanks and thought I would rough turn one of the Walnut ones. Turned the outside and did a moisture test and it was down to 12% so the log had been laying around longer than I thought, so I decided to turn to completion.
So here it is, size is 9" X 2"

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Walnut Bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 10:36:25 PM »
To be honest, when I saw the first pic, I thought, yes, I like this. But then I saw the other pictures and noticed you'd done the underside in an ogee shape. And I think that doesn't go together. This should have been a discus shape all over, and it would have been brilliant. As it is, it's a bit nondescript. To me, that is.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:10:59 AM »
It packs a lot into a 2" blank! I quite like it, but agree with Fuzzy about the ogee curve.

My feelings about ogee profiles are this....
...the convex curve leading up from the base gently undergoes a change of direction as it approaches the rim, sending the eye outward as it stretches the rim outwards. For this reason, the ogee curve lends itself well to thinly turned, fine rims with an interior curve which follows the ogee, back down into the base of the bowl.
I appreciate that this is my interpretation, and we're all entitled to our own interpretation of how various curves work, but try making an ogee bowl in the manner suggested above, and see if it works for you.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 07:44:24 PM »

Well Derek,
                  I love it and I am sure you will soon get a happy customer for this I know people are only giving their opinions on this Forum

but I do think some get a bit to technical at times as for being nondescript never in a million years. Well done.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »
Thank you one and all for your comments I do take on board all comments for or against anything I make how else are we to move forward.

Normally I do make a rounder bowl but I have customers that like this shape.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »
nothing wrong with it in my book mate. it's all personal taste afterall.

i'm very much a do what i like person with my turning and if some one objects to a shape i've made another person comes along and praises it and more often than not  buys it.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
      A nice and simple Bowl Derek...... The beaded detail on the rim adds a point of interest.
      It looks a bit chunky ..... but we like chunky
      Regards Tony di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 11:38:51 PM »
Thank you seventhdevil and Georg. I try to turn what is wanted or what the wood sometimes dictates, And as I said before all comments welcome

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 07:11:15 AM »
Hi Derek

Having look at this a few times I would normally agree that if using an ogee curve on the outside then this should be used on the inside to keep the balance.

But having said that I like your little bowl and I know your finish is first class.

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 08:42:06 PM »
Derek,

I like the fact that the bowl section does not follow the outside shape, it defines itself quite well with its small rim. It's also balanced by the foot, giving it stability as a functional piece.

The bit that did not quite work for me was the slightly downward and outward shape of the wide top rim, but that is a personal take on the piece that does not detract from your well turned and finished work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!