Author Topic: Simplicity  (Read 1745 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Simplicity
« on: September 26, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
This is a beech platter, about 11 1/4" in diameter, and just over an inch high. The colours are textile dyes, the surface is finished with acrylic lacquer and sanded and polished to quite a high sheen, then carved and the carved lines coloured with a black marker. I know that the marker bled a little into the wood, something I'll have to address with a bit of sanding sealer on the next one. Picture quality is not great, as it's off my mobile phone (my photo tent is all packed away because we are about to move house, so this will probably be my last post for a while).
As usual, all C&C welcome.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:18:17 AM by fuzzyturns »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Simplicity
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:14:33 PM »
Fuzzy,

I think you've loaded the same photo twice, but your name for the piece excellently describes the work.

How do you find working with textile dyes?

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »
Very subtle colours there, fuzzy, and the design of the blades of grass works well for its simplicity.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:18:28 PM »
Like the comments above a well chosen description. Simple yet good design and I like it

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 11:04:02 PM »
Liking what you are doing here Fuzzy very stylish

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 09:23:13 AM »
Thanks, guys, for the feedback.
The textile dyes are easy to work with. I only bought the 4 basic colours (yellow, red, blue, and black) and mix all the various other hues myself, but the supplier has a wide pallette of colours. For light colouring (as above) only very little of the powder is needed. Light colouring results in a situation where the final colour is a blend of the natural wood colour and the dyes, which has to be considered. The advantage really is that the colours don't kill the original grain.