Author Topic: New Learner  (Read 2272 times)

DaveH

New Learner
« on: October 02, 2016, 08:42:15 PM »
Hi, Having just joined this form I thought I would take a minute to say hello and introduce myself.
With retirement looming next year I decided I would like to take up woodturning to keep me occupied in my coming life of leisure (at last).
To be honest the only direct experience of woodturning I've had was in woodwork class at school where I did a few projects including a large sycamore bowl, I can still recall the smell of that timber as I machined it !
I am apprentice trained as a fitter and turner (metal lathes) so I am aware of the hazards of objects whizzing round lol.
I have managed to aquire a lathe to start with (Multico junior) its quite old but in good condition and came complete with a good selection of tools at a reasonable price.
I joined the forum to glean information and tips, looking at the gorgeous work in the gallery on here I have a lot to aspire to.

Dave

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: New Learner
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:03:42 PM »
Hello Dave....by all means do aspire, but do please, never feel daunted by it. Each of us started somewhere and our paths have crossed here, on this fine forum. Even those of us who have turned for years still learn from the work of others, as such is the range of the art to which we aspire.
By the way...where are you based?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

DaveH

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 09:16:24 PM »
Thanks Les, point taken, not so much daunted, more in awe of the quality of workmanship !
Sorry, I should have said, I'm located in County Durham.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:03:27 PM »
Hello there, and a very warm welcome. As Les said, we all started somewhere, in my case it was only 2 years ago, and I have learned much useful stuff from being on this forum.

The very first tips for you would be to
a) join a local club and
b) take some tuition

The tuition will cost you some money, but it's money well spent. On a different section of this site is a list of turners who do tuition, look at their work, and pick those you like the best. I promise, you will not regret it.

Wolfgang

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:46:40 PM »
Dave,

welcome to the forum.

You don't say if you've joined or are thinking of joining a club. If there is one near you (see the AWGB Website for a list of clubs) I suggest you do. I turned for nearly 10 years, my tool work was great, but until I interacted with other turners I knew nothing of design or form.

Looking forward to your postings.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 04:56:18 AM »
Hello Dave

I joined yesterday as well so we are both newbies  ;D

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 08:16:07 AM »
Hi Dave

Welcome to the world of woodturning and the forum.

We all help each other and have all started somewhere in the same boat as you. Always feel free to ask any type of question on woodturning and I'm sure you will get plenty of answers

All the best

Ed