Author Topic: Oak burr N/E panel.  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Oak burr N/E panel.
« on: October 04, 2016, 07:42:26 PM »
I've been wanting to have a go at one of these for a long time. It seems that lots of turners make them and I've taken my inspiration from several that I've seen recently, so it's no great design breakthrough, but this is just my personal take on a popular subject. It's a single piece of oak burr, about 60cm (2ft) long and 25cm (10") wide, with the outer wings scorched and lime-waxed, a very light coat of copper gilding cream on the outer disc, with the inner disc left plain and a Welsh slate 'washer' set into the centre. The stand is a slice of the burr that I cut off the back of this piece, before I turned it, and the legs are oxidised brass rods.

C&C always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Oak burr N/E panel.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 08:51:51 PM »
Well Les now who's getting arty  :)

Love it - must have taken a bit of turning but looks worth every minute you've spent on it

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:12:01 PM »
Well Les now who's getting arty  :)

Love it - must have taken a bit of turning but looks worth every minute you've spent on it

Ed
Cheers Ed...whilst making this I understood why everybody seems to apply strong textures to the outer wings. I worked it out that at the outer-most part of the wings, I was turning 2% wood and 98% air...scary stuff and just about impossible to achieve an un-textured finish.
Les

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »
Very arty, Les. Lovely piece of burr and well turned out. Well done. Malcolm.

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 09:40:41 PM »
Very nice piece Les. The finish on the bare oak is fantastic.
The scorched, lime waxed and gilt finished outer areas along with the slate washer give a great balanced contrast to the piece.
I bet it's even more impressive in the flesh...the photo gives me the impression that it's a smaller piece.

Having turned one of these 'propellers', I know how difficult this amount of fresh air can be. Accurate, sharp and steady tooling is essential but what speed did you turn it at? I'm also intrigued, did you manage to reverse it to finish the base and if so, how did you go about it?

Thanks for posting
Rick

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 09:55:02 PM »
Thanks Malcolm/Rick....Goodness knows what the lathe speed was....I suspect it was a low as 150rpm for the wings, but a little faster when I was working closer to the centre.
As for reversing it....I settled for turning a 100mm sycamore 'button' which fits into the chuck recess and that has all the pyrographed details of the piece on it. I've reversed some crazy shapes in my time, usually by clamping them against a 30" plywood disc, but i didn't think that this piece would take the stress of being clamped against the ply. In my mind, the desire to clean up every chuck recess can be taken just a bit too far at times, what's more important is that 1) I keep safe and 2) I find an alternate method of presenting the reverse professionally.
Les

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 10:17:44 PM »
Couldn't agree more Les...safety first in both respects, speed and reversing.
I've used your approach of clamping to a backboard for reversing but as you rightly say, the strength and stability of the piece can dictate whether or not this is an option.

Great piece...love it.

Cheers
Rick

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 12:07:10 PM »
Very nice Les

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »
Very nice Les

Regards George
Thank you, George....I'm pleased that you like it.
Les

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 10:34:33 PM »
I've been wanting to have a go at one of these for a long time. It seems that lots of turners make them and I've taken my inspiration from several that I've seen recently, so it's no great design breakthrough, but this is just my personal take on a popular subject. It's a single piece of oak burr, about 60cm (2ft) long and 25cm (10") wide, with the outer wings scorched and lime-waxed, a very light coat of copper gilding cream on the outer disc, with the inner disc left plain and a Welsh slate 'washer' set into the centre. The stand is a slice of the burr that I cut off the back of this piece, before I turned it, and the legs are oxidised brass rods.

C&C always welcome...Les
Well done Les,

You have created a beautiful piece here. I've done a few pieces like this and they do make you keep your wits about you. A great bit of oak with just enough decoration. The scorched wings and slate really set it off well.

Best Regards

Gary

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 04:32:19 PM »

Well must say after seeing this piece in real life a couple of days ago,  the photo does not do this piece justice for
              the impact it presents .... Well Done Les.
              Regards Tony Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline DDB

• iron
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 06:23:59 PM »
Nice piece Les, like the slate, as you say now you know why people use alternative texturing on the outer edges, gets a bit daunting cutting that much fresh air, my only slightly negative comment would be that I think I'd prefer the base to be darker colour to possibly tie in with the slate colours you already have, think it detracts from the natural areas too much.

Regards Darren

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 08:19:38 PM »
Les,

I've looked and looked at this since you posted it, and don't know what to say ???

Speechless! ;D ;D
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 12:22:13 PM »
I like this Les - A nice sculptural piece right up my street

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 08:03:22 AM »
I think this is beautiful and nicely photographed too, I do wonder if just one stand / leg would've been better though. . . . . . . . just my two penath

Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying