Author Topic: What make / model of lathe do you own and use ?  (Read 8428 times)

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: What make / model of lathe do you own and use ?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 12:35:50 PM »
I have the Killinger KM1400SE Can't fault it really, robust, smooth running, powerful even with the 1HP motor. The Axminster AT1628 is a copy but probably just as good.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 09:09:18 PM »
My everyday use lathe is a Graduate. Mine is about 60years old and still appears to be on the same motor, Brooke and Crompton. I have changed the bearings once and the belt. My demo lathe is an Axminster 330. I am about the 6th or 7th owner I think but it is a true workhorse. One down side is the speed, I wish the lower speed was 425 as I can chase a thread on the Graduate at that speed but can't do so on the 330 as that is 5rpm faster.
     I daresay if I practised more I might be able to do it but ATM it alludes me. I like using both of my machines but perhaps the question should have been what would be your ideal lathe? :P

Offline Grethron

• iron
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 10:57:35 PM »
Hi all, newbie alert here.

I've just got me first one, an Arundel J4 Junior. I feel a bit of lathe envy here cos I've only got 4.5 inches over the bed.

Had to fashion a faceplate as the odd thing that screws on to the spindle is about 2" deep. Tried to get a nut to fit the thread on the outboard side to allow me to use the separate bowl turning attachment but the one I got doesn't fit at all.

Offline DDB

• iron
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 11:34:40 PM »
I use a 70yr old Wadkin RS8 which I converted to variable speed, handing when turning big wall hangings on the outboard end, for smaller stuff and for taking to shows etc I've got a Magma 175FU, basically the same as the Axminster 1416VS, but bought before they done them, great little lathe.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 03:40:28 PM »
Forgot to mention the lathe I use , Its one of these  :)

https://www.magma-tools.com/de/shop/drechseln/drechselbaenke/magma-black-line-titan/magma-black-line-titan-400.html

I love it  ;)

Have owned many lathes including Woodfast M910 , Wivamac DB 800, Poolwood Euro 2000, VB36 Standard bed ( When they were green )

The Titan in my opinion is a keeper suites my needs better than any previously owned models

I also have a Record RPML 300  :D

Offline mickdundee

• iron
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 02:21:40 PM »
I've got a Record CL3. The model before they were updated at the turn of this year. I've got the outboard turning attachment and the Record stand for it.
Main downsides in my opinion are the outboard rig can be in the way a bit when you don't need it, and adjustment of it isn't very smooth and often takes both hands.
Secondly is the quality of the stand. Simply not up to the job in my opinion and requires sureing up with timber. Otherwise it can move a hell of a lot with anything that isn't balanced.
And the banjo mechanism won't lock if you try to get too close to the centre of the bed which is a pain if you're turning anything under around 2" diameter.

Variable speed would be nice but to add that to the cl3 you're then spending enough money to look at Axminster trade series.
Also would like a reverse capability but being realistic at the end of the day it's a pretty capable lathe  despite its faults, at the lower end of the price range

Offline David J. Ross

• copper
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 05:30:41 PM »
I have a Record Maxi 1 lathe I have had it 2 years and think it is a great machine Used to have a Record DML 26 SH that I added variable speed I had that for 18 years before changing to the Maxi 1.
I like the fact you can move the controller and that it has reverse as well
It handles anything big and small that I want to turn
Just had to get some 1 to 2 MT and some thread adapters when I changed over lathes

David

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 07:08:58 PM »
I have the Killinger 1450se,  but am actually thinking of buying something a little smaller. Just a bit too big for me.
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »
I use the Nova DVR XP  and the Jet 3520b lathe, I need to do a bit more turning than what I do.

Offline DDB

• iron
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 07:34:58 PM »
Now also the proud owner of a VB36 long bed, alongside the Wadkin and little magma, and whilst rummaging about in my woodstore I found my old demoing lathe, a lennartsfor build in Sweden, weird bit of kit as no morse tapers!!  I was recently informed of a calculation to derive the optimum number of lathes or turning tools a wood turner actually requires, it goes something like this,

N+1=optimum, where N is the number of lathes or turning tools currently owned.